Acitretin experience (Hair changes)

Posted Thu 11 Mar 2021 18.53 by Shaun McPrawn

Hello All, I took acitretin for a year. 20mg daily I took. Side effects initially were dry skin, very dry inside nose, very dry lips which would sometimes crack if I laughed and stretched my mouth wider than usual. I must also point out I also suffer from adult acne so I am also prone to spots on the face. Acitretin actually completely stopped my acne which was a very pleasant side effect. The other symptoms were for me easily manageable, lip balms helped a lot I just kept one in my pocket at all times. The dry inner nose I got used to quickly, some slight tenderness there was all it manifested in. The acitretin helped my psoriasis greatly, in more or less stopped new plaques forming. I was left with large red patches of skin that faded over the year especially when I used betnovate in conjunction. The reason I have shared my experiences is that I came across a side effect that is not mentioned in any of the leaflets I read before taking the medicine. I did read that hair loss was a possibility, and after the year I began to notice I could see my scalp quite visibly when my hair was wet which was quite a shock, however I have naturally straight to slightly wavy hair, after about 10 months on acitretin my hair became really curly, like almost Afro curly?? I have now discontinued the acitretin as the changes to my hair where to dramatic and scary, I’ve been off them 3 weeks and am hoping my hair goes back to normal, my dermatologist said this was a very uncommon side effect but it has been noted on occasion. He said it should return to normal. Good luck in your continued fight with psoriasis my friends, I know as you do it’s bloody awful.

Posted Thu 11 Mar 2021 19.05 by scarletsmummy

I took acitretin for about a year and came off it at the beginning of march last year , I developed such severe side effects some of which i am still suffering I lost all my eye brows, Lashes ,the hair on my head fell out in clumps and every bit of bodily hair fell out,I developed Sciatica because the pills affected my sciatic joints and my fingers nails just crumbled My hair has always been straight i mean DEAD straight but since it has started to grow i have developed a wave ( which a few years ago i would have died for ) I have been taking a Biotin supplement which was recommended to me and in the last 4 months i have noticed a nice shine returning to my hair and its thickening up and also they are helping with strengthening my nails

Posted Thu 11 Mar 2021 19.34 by Shaun McPrawn

Ah that’s dreadful I hope your ok. So your saying the change in hair texture appears permanent with you? I hope mine goes back to normal, why they never mention this is beyond me.

Posted Fri 12 Mar 2021 21.24 by JanieH

I took acetrin for nearly 2 years and experienced considerable hair thinning. It was a while ago now and I can’t remember how long it took for my hair to recover, but it did grow back the same as it’s always been. I also started taking Biotin which seemed to help. Another side effect not mentioned here was ingrowing nails on my big toes. Again eventually recovered too, albeit with the help of a chiropodist.

Posted Wed 30 Aug 2023 10.02 by Maz

Hello everyone, Alcitretin? I wish I'd never heard of it!!! Of course, it cleared my Psoriasis...I was so relieved because on both feet, it creates fissures which results in regular bouts of Cellulitis. I was only on Alcitretin for a few weeks.....but that was enough to damage my hair and eyelashes. SO depressing....I'm terrified to brush my hair...and as for looking in a mirror? No chance. Thankyou for the advice several of you have listed - Biotin/Minoxidil and Black Seed Oil. I SO hope they work....eventually. Maz

Posted Sat 2 Sep 2023 15.39 by mt382 (edited Sat 2 Sep 2023 15.40 by mt382)

Only a month and a half in, so can only say that no changes in hair so far. Have researched it to death though and think, as a very hairy man, I'm likely to be safe a while longer and this drug is not my long term goal. My (very experienced) dermatologist was quite adamant that the majority of hair changes, when they occur, are mild - some thinning in most, which us reversible in the vast majority. Although, I'd take hair changes over what's happening to me right now. My limbs are clearing nicely but my trunk, which has never been affected before, is covered in guttate psoriasis. Hopefully this too shall clear as time goes on.

Posted Sat 9 Dec 2023 09.39 by sidharthhgp

Acitretin, a retinoid, is mainly used for psoriasis, not hair issues. It may cause hair thinning. Consult a dermatologist for personalized advice on side effects and alternatives. Or used HGP hair growth serum hydrates and deeply moisturizes both scalp and strands, initiating its action by penetrating deeply into the hair follicles. visit website: https://www.hgpindia.com/

Posted Mon 11 Dec 2023 12.32 by kiloran
From Lichen Planus to Plaque Psoriasis to Palmoplantar and Nail psoriasis - newly diagnosed 2023

Opposite for me - I started on 25mg and dropped to 10mg. Already a fairly hairy bloke but since being on it I've got a lot more leg and hand hair. Hair is also darker (I'm quite fair skinned) thicker and curlier. And this seems to be new hair from follicles which have never previously sprouted, it's almost like going back to puberty (I'm 53). Also had a bit of acne/whitehead flare on my legs which I initially put down to being a reaction to Cetraben making my skin oilier.

Posted Mon 11 Dec 2023 12.53 by kiloran
From Lichen Planus to Plaque Psoriasis to Palmoplantar and Nail psoriasis - newly diagnosed 2023

Should also add that this new leg and hand hair is very loosely anchored in the skin, pulls out with little resistance and no pain just with a gentle tug with tweezers. The root of the hair doesn't have that usual clear thick bit on the end. It will even come out with low tack surgical tape.

Posted Mon 15 Jan 2024 09.26 by kiloran

A month further in to low dose Acitretin (10mg per day) and I've started to get some hair loss in my beard. Head hair unaffected. Still got brand new growth coming through on my legs which is thicker and curlier than existing growth

Posted Fri 19 Apr 2024 23.50 by Bev

@Scarletsmummy how are things with you now ?

To take part, sign in or register with us