LINKS BETWEEN PSORIASIS AND M.S.

Posted Thu 3 Nov 2016 23.22 by roz

hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone has been told by dr's that their could be a link between these two conditions . I have had psoriasis since I was 17years old, then at the age of 39 was told that I had M.S. I have been on Stelara injections for the past 2 years and they have helped very well with the skin but not the M.S. I would be glad to hear if anyone else knows about this. Thank you in anticipation.

Posted Wed 2 Aug 2023 09.29 by mt382

Hi there! Biology graduate turned graduate medical student here. Link between psoriasis and MS: it's contentious. Medicine knows lots and is a wonderful help to mankind, but there's so much still not understood. We know that clusters of different types of "HLA" genes are more associated with certain autoimmune diseases (vitiligo and diabetes is one such HLA link), but nothing obvious on a quick check which connects psoriasis and MS. MS is, sadly, very associated with EBV (lots of people have or have had that virus and very few get MS, but almost all MS patients have had it). Could be entirely coincidental or could be that long term inflammation OR long term immunosuppression might cause high EBV activity and trigger MS? It's a shame that the drug you're on at the moment isn't helping MS. I suppose it's a case of trying to find a biology that benefits both. Either way, deepest sympathies are with you.

To take part, sign in or register with us