The role of sun.

Posted Tue 20 Dec 2016 22.14 by Nzlgraham

I'm writing about my experience with psoriasis, I have had some success with reducing impact and in a fairly conventional way. I am 73, I have had psoriasis as a youngster but then I had about 45 years with none and now it is back full body with a vengeance for the past 4 years. Guttate and plaque. If I had to pick one of the triggers that get talked of it would be coming off doses of oral steroids, as I have been treated for bad infections over the last few years. My psoriasis tends to flare up and get gradually worse through our New Zealand winter June to October. I got creams from the doctor and saw little change. I then bought a UVB lamp from Denmark and used that regularly for a couple of months in conjunction with the steroid medications and moisturisers. I saw very minor improvement. We then went for a month long holiday in a warm part of Australia. I swam every day at least once in the ocean, water temperature about 21 degrees Celsius at the start (early October) and gradually getting warmer. I got a little bit of sun each day without trying to sunbathe. It took over three weeks to see improvement. I was still using the steroid cream I had been prescribed. As I got a bit of a tan the psoriasis began to reduce. After 4 weeks it was noticeably improved and this has continued since I came home mid November. I can say with certainty that the sun played a significant role as the parts of my body that were covered by my swimsuit did not improve although they still got the treatment from creams and the general warmth of the climate. This is not a plug for holidaying in Australia but rather a plug for getting a bit of sun. I must say I was embarrassed by my appearance when I hit the beach and a few people commented but not unkindly. It was worth it for me. I hope this is a useful anecdote. All the best, Graham

Posted Sun 8 Jan 2017 21.59 by Sarahhh
Busy, busy, busy!

I developed psoriasis about 15 months ago. Originally I just had plaque psoriasis on my elbows and scalp psoriasis, but within 5 months I had guttate psoriasis on my legs, inverse psoriasis and nail psoriasis. Creams and shampoos have made no impact and I had heard from a fellow sufferer about the effect of the sun. Before my holiday I also had a blood test which confirmed my vitamin D was very low, so I am on supplements for that too. One week in the sun means that three weeks later I am still boasting improved skin - so much so that the guttate 'scabs' have stayed faded enough for me to shave my legs. It doesn't sound like much but it's such a boost to my mental health. As a result of the very obvious effects I purchased a UVB lamp which I used for the first time today. No idea if it will work but it can't be any worse than the creams. I'm still taking vitamin D supplements, but fingers crossed. No clue what to do with my nails. I will probably just continue to get overlays to hide them.

To take part, sign in or register with us