psoriasis and antibiotics

Posted Wed 21 Dec 2016 09.07 by fede_

Hi, I wanted to share something strange that happened to me. Some years ago I had pneumonia. It took quite a long to be properly diagnosed and went through different antibiotics. The strange thing is that after recovering from pneumonia I had the feeling that my psoriasis, which affects my armpits, is very itchy and is always present, had healed. In fact, it didn't come back for about two months. To me it was strange that I was able to feel that it healed (how can I feel that?) and also because of the potential relationship with the antibiotics treatment, the prolonged fever or the intense immune system fight against bacteria.

Posted Sat 24 Dec 2016 16.41 by Zaf

Infection / inflammation is known to exacerbate psoriasis .. so i guess controlling infection inflammation helps control psoriasis.

Posted Sat 24 Dec 2016 17.03 by fede_

Why then it remained controlled for so long after the aggressive antibiotic treatment? Could it be that psoriasis is caused by some nasty bacteria?

Posted Sat 24 Dec 2016 17.09 by fede_

I've just found this interesting article. Apparently, bacterial DNA was found in psoriasis patients but not in healthy controls. There's not much more articles addressing this, but seems interesting to me. Arch Dermatol Res. 2010 Sep;302(7):495-8. doi: 10.1007/s00403-010-1065-0. Epub 2010 Jul 4. Evidence for the presence of bacteria in the blood of psoriasis patients. Munz OH1, Sela S, Baker BS, Griffiths CE, Powles AV, Fry L. Author information Abstract Evidence exists that microorganisms, particularly in the throat and skin, play a role in the pathogenesis of psoriasis. The aim of this study was to investigate whether evidence for the presence of bacteria, including Streptococcus pyogenes, can be demonstrated in the peripheral blood of patients with guttate and/or chronic plaque psoriasis. Peripheral blood samples from 20 patients with psoriasis, seven guttate, six chronic plaque and seven chronic plaque with associated guttate flare and from 16 control subjects were studied for the presence of bacteria by PCR using universal 16S ribosomal DNA primers and specific primers for S. pyogenes. Sequence analysis of amplified 16S rRNA sequences was used to determine taxonomic identity. Ribosomal bacterial DNA was detected in the blood of all 20 patients with psoriasis, but in none of the controls. Streptococci were detected in six of seven patients with guttate psoriasis, but none had staphylococci. In contrast, staphylococci were identified in 9 of 13 patients with chronic plaque psoriasis, whilst only 2 demonstrated streptococci. In three psoriasis patients, species other than streptococci and staphylococci were identified. These findings suggest that psoriasis is associated with bacteraemia, with distinct taxonomic groups present in guttate and chronic plaque psoriatic subtypes. The causes of the bacteraemia and its implications in psoriasis have yet to be determined.

Posted Mon 8 Jan 2018 20.41 by cherrynass

I have had to have frequent courses of Doxycycline antibiotics for serious sinus infections. My guttate p began after this and seems to worsen with each course. i have decided to request a different one if needed again as I read that p sufferers should avoid anti malarial drugs.

Posted Wed 10 Jan 2018 13.48 by ohwell

Guys, we can all look where we like. Sadly, it is all palliative care. You really want see my stack of medicines, plus it has got really expensive re prescriptions. And please, nobody tell me about the NHS card. Cherrymass, if you don't mind me asking? - anti malarial pills?

Posted Tue 26 Jun 2018 23.27 by Tacie83

Hi fede, Also had a similar experience. I had surgery twice and I took antibiotics and my skin cleared up both times. It lasted a about a week. But doctors only know how to treat the symptoms not the cause. It's clear that there is some type of infection or bacteria that our body is trying to fight. So I dont understand why doctors are not looking into this. It's frustrating that doctors cant help.

Posted Mon 9 Jul 2018 17.29 by cgomes

Hey, I had exactly the same case - pneumonia, treatment with 5-day antibiotic. Got my psoriasis (mostly hand and feet) really cleared up for about a month. It came back mostly on my hands at different places. Another factor is that I stopped eating sugar because of illness. I might try to cut sugar again since it is known to cause inflammation on the body. If anything new comes up, please post it here!

Posted Thu 29 Nov 2018 14.53 by MelisaN

So interesting. I had an infected tooth and for about two weeks being on abx the patch inside my ear was just gone. My scalp was better too. Has anyone tried strong probiotics to fight it? I have easy access to antibiotics but would love to not take them if there is a better way. Thoughts?

Posted Wed 27 Feb 2019 17.10 by onlythebrave

I recently finished a 7 day course of antibiotics for a kidney infection. I noticed my scalp psoriasis has healed 75% and is much less itchy. This makes me think of last summer, I got biten on the leg by a horsefly and needed antibiotics then too and my scalp psoriasis improved for a few weeks then as well. Has anybody ever had a skin flaking plaque sent for infection tests?

Posted Tue 29 Sep 2020 11.15 by AKGuide

As mentioned above I also had an abscessed tooth and was prescribed 875mg of Amoxicillin. Took about a total of 5 over 2 1/2 days which cleared the infection in the tooth and I also noticed the psoriasis on my knees and elbows had cleared some. That was a couple months ago. Well it has happened again with another bad tooth that started to get infected. I only took just 3 of the Amoxicillin this time. Again the pain and swelling of the tooth vanished, however once again after just a couple day the psoriasis has improved. I have about 20 pills left from the original script of 28. I am considering breaking these large 875 pills in half and taking 1 a day for a week. to see what happens. Nothing has cleared my psoriasis like this. Having applied topical steroids in the past does reduce the scaling but takes a month or so to do what this antibiotic does in about a week. Another thing is I seldom get sick and feel I have a strong immune system. Girlfriend will catch a cold coughing and sneezing around me and I get nothing. I am glad to see others have found relief and think more research is needed. I seldom take drugs of any sort and don't want to be taking these antibiotics without knowing what is actually going on and possibly building a tolerance to these.

Posted Wed 28 Oct 2020 12.31 by RB2202

I have had numerous steroid creams and 6 months of PUVA light treatment on my hands which are covered in psoriasis and I get deep fissures all over my thumbs and palms. Nothing has helped but I just had the best 4 weeks of clear soft strong 'normal' hands for the first time in 4 years! It was after being on Flucloxacillin for a 2 week course. I couldn't believe my eyes and I was so relieved, I thought finally, its gone!!! But now after finishing the course about 2 weeks ago, the patches are returning and I have a new cut on my thumb since yesterday! I am so disappointed, I called my doctor and she said there is no link between antibiotics and psoriasis and it is not something she would prescribe for the condition. It's crazy that there is not more research done into this?

Posted Fri 30 Oct 2020 08.43 by StevieT

Going onto the OP original point ,I too felt my Psoriasis drain away ,I cannot remember being on any particular drugs at the time ,a favourite Auntie had died and I jokingly but the remission down to her ,wish at the time I had insisted on blood tests to see this what seemed a miracle appear ,I was absolutely clear for a couple of months until something in my tummy kick started it again(sounds weird I know) Steve

Posted Fri 30 Oct 2020 15.21 by Mazzer1965

Hi. Has anybody lost hair through psoriasis?mine is really thin now.

Posted Tue 10 Jan 2023 20.07 by Kate

Hi, I don't know what type of sporaisis I have, but antibiotics seemed to cause it innitially. It started on my knee. Currently it's there and on my elbows and torso. I was misdiagnosed 5-6 times in one year with a middle ear infection in 2012-2013. I was given amoxycillan each time. In the end this caused me to get jaundus. And turns out I just needed root canal on a tooth. After this was when I developed sporaisis in 2013. At one stage it was all over my stomach, back, thighs, neck, face etc and I could feel it coming on with extreme itchyness. Any sore would turn into it as well. I went low carb and sugar free except for stevia and not completely strict with it and within 2 weeks the itching completely stopped and after 6 months i only had one patch on my left knee. The very first patch I got. Well i havent stuck to the diet and it's coming back. Ive never been on anything for it except a topical oil by Lereve called skin revival. I think something in my gut is not right. I did get leaky gut syndrome from all that antibiotics. Currently I feel so inflamed everywhere. I need to get back to eating better this year to help control it.

Posted Tue 30 Jan 2024 18.28 by Georgiat

I have suffered with psoriasis my whole life however not normally gutain I had 3 different abcesses that kept coming then going antibiotic after antibiotic my skin was covered ! I had one drained and put on a strong dose of antibiotics which completely cleared me I tested positive for strep I now have another one doctors gave me antibiotic which did nothing (small dose 1 week) I've left it for a couple of weeks and my skins gone crazy again !! I'm going to try go to the doctors and ask that bloods are done but they are so reluctant to give out a strong antibiotic, followed from a viral Infection December.

Posted Tue 30 Jan 2024 19.30 by kiloran
From Lichen Planus to Plaque Psoriasis to Palmoplantar and Nail psoriasis - newly diagnosed 2023

I've had the y bouts of cellulitis since the start of December treated and cleared with flucloxacillin. Had no effect on my hand and feet psoriasis. Interestingly I do know someone with random swollen joints who improves when they're prescribed metronidazole. When you consider that some of the biologics used for psoriasis are also used for inflammatory gut issues like Crohn's and colitis it does make me wonder...

Posted Wed 31 Jan 2024 12.09 by Beanjara

I ain't something to tell about it

To take part, sign in or register with us