Psoriasis on Soles of Feet

Posted Sun 1 Jan 2017 22.59 by ianlindsay
On palms of hands and soles of feet

I have suffered with psoriasis on the palms of my hands and the soles of my feet for years. I have tried numerous topical creams and ointments, some prescribed by my doctor and some OTC but none of them have really been effective. The psoriasis on the soles of my feet got so painful that walking was agonising, but I have found a solution. After showering I disinfect the soles with TCP or Dettol Spray and then cover the entire area with Opsite Flexifix waterproof transparent film dressing. LLoyds sell them but only a small size (6.5cm x 5cm) but I now buy it by the roll (10cm x 1m) and cut it to size. The rolls aren't available in shops but can be bought online. The dressings are showerproof and I change them roughly weekly. I found them a bit fiddly to apply until I acquired the knack. This is not a cure but I have been using these dressings for about 3 years now and they do enable me to walk comfortably without pain. Also cracks in the skin heal as a result of being protected. Unfortunately they aren't so good applied to the palms because they soon start peeling off as you handle things and wash your hands, but they stay in place well on the feet because socks and footwear help to keep them in place. They would not be suitable for application on top of an ointment or cream. I hope this is helpful for some fellow sufferers.

To take part, sign in or register with us