Any Vegans out there?

Posted Fri 27 Jan 2017 20.31 by Oatcake

Hi there, I suffer with severe P on my hands and recently (3 weeks ago to be precise) decided to change to a totally plant based diet to see if eliminating animal and dairy products from my diet helps to improve my skin. I am interested to hear from any other psoriasis sufferers who have changed to a vegan diet and whether you think it has helped at all? xx

Posted Thu 2 Feb 2017 16.19 by thin-skinned
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

About 3-4 or so years ago I did try going veggie (not vegan) but then found that some raw types awoke allergies. Strangely, only in raw state and when cooked the effects disappeared. I only tried for about 3 to 4 months and then went back to my normal mixed diet. The raw celery almost instantly brought my mouth up in lumps and very nearly closed my throat airway off, so that made me very wary and some tomatoes made my lips swell except when cooked. In fact the whole experience was strange in that cooking seemed to cancel all allergic effects. Anyway, no beneficial effects were noted so for me a mixed diet seems ok.

Posted Fri 3 Feb 2017 15.08 by Shakil (edited Fri 3 Feb 2017 15.11 by Shakil)

I was on a vegan diet for 3 months when I was first diagnosed. During that time, my flare ups were intense and psoriasis started spreading all over my body. Went to my dermatologist and she said that there are no enough studies showing the link between your diet and psoriasis except the case of having food allergies. So I went back to my normal diet and now my psoriasis is under control. I think Having a healthy life style is much better than just being a vegan. People who had their psoriasis cleared by a vegan diet, they probably had some food allergies that they didn't knew until they got psoriasis.

Posted Sat 4 Feb 2017 10.15 by Izzie

Hi, I think, and studies tend to prove it, P has nothing to do with what you eat or drink. It's mostly a personal thing. On one alcohol will make it worse, on an other proteins will help... There's no miracle diet or way of life. You would prefer to feel good/healthy in your own way. When your mind is ok with what you do and eat, your lifestyle, I think it's what matter the most in first place. Because you're a person, before being a sufferer. But just so to say, I'm a vegetarian since 7 years or so because of convictions, not P, and I had less P when I was eating everything. For other people it's the opposite... So find what's good for you, because you're unique and your body will tell you what's good or not for you. Good luck

Posted Sat 4 Feb 2017 10.38 by Shakil

That's true Izzie It's all about how you feel since everybody is different

Posted Sat 4 Feb 2017 18.45 by Psoriasaurus Rex
Sick and tired of scratching the surface - want a cure.

Don't understand this carry on about diet having little to no role. When I have drunk alcohol the night before, the next day my psoriasis is worse. Every time. I feel no differently mentally between the drinking day and the non-drinking day either. I hear so much of people claiming they eat healthily only to not have their Psoriasis clear up. Little do they know they could be eating something healthy, but not 'Psoriasis Healthy'. I have heard of so many cases of diets clearing Psoriasis; hundreds of them. I have heard of only one case in which a new found state of mental well-being did the job. A dermatologist won't actually know if diet plays a significant role or any at all - they deal with skin. Veganism ought to help the Psoriasis clear up, but it could take months. Different with everyone.

To take part, sign in or register with us