Ciclosporin side effects longevity

Posted Mon 13 Mar 2017 18.14 by ICB

I am due to start Ciclosporin next month. Having had bad experiences with the side effects of Methatrexate and Acetretin, I am a bit apprehensive about taking this other drug having checked out the side effects. I'm wondering if I take it and get side effects such as excessive hair growth, swollen gums, etc, how long it takes for them to cease if I were to stop taking the drug.

Posted Tue 14 Mar 2017 21.43 by Sue P

Hi Ian, I have taken all 3 & in the end decided to Stop !! As the side effects took over my life. With the Ciclosporin the effects went after about a month. Everyone is different though , my main effects were due to my mental state & the overwhelming feelings I encountered. I know people who encountered minimal effects. Good luck

Posted Thu 16 Mar 2017 17.04 by ICB (edited Fri 17 Mar 2017 08.52 by ICB)

Thank you for your insights. I think I'm approaching Ciclosporin with trepidation having found Methotrexate and Acetrertin so awful. Hopefully third time lucky.

Posted Fri 17 Mar 2017 19.55 by pdr321
A long sufferer of plaque psoriasis who found an effective treatment after 27 years (blueberries). I have now been clear more than 5 years.

I have had a similar experience with Ciclosporin, and eventually it lost its efficacy, only for the condition to flare up worse than ever. I have just made a post about eating blueberries, my miracle cure, I recommend you take a look and try it.

Posted Thu 28 Dec 2017 19.20 by SouthCoastAndy

For what it's worth, I had Ciclosporin and it worked extremely well - 96% clear and had no side effects for over three years. I did at that time, start getting the bleeding and swollen gums , but it was not bad. I'd still be on it if I was allowed! The Methotrexate has given me a bad liver report after 8 months, so I'll probably have to come off it. Only calmed down the areas, no real clearance overall... Acetretin was a nightmare! It felt like my whole hands were one big blister where the top layers of skin would float over the lower ones. And severe cracked lips too. Horrible. Good luck with whatever they give you.

To take part, sign in or register with us