Eating Blueberries has cleared up my psoriasis

Posted Mon 21 Dec 2020 16.38 by SharonG

@Rsn70 So pleased for you :) Happy Days :)

Posted Mon 21 Dec 2020 20.36 by Pladecalvo

@Shappobunny I tried blueberries for about 8 weeks and my condition got worse too. I stopped the blueberries and went back to the medication and the condition improved. A few weeks ago, I decided to try the berries again but within two days it had flared up again. I've come to the conclusion that I am allergic to them. Maybe you are too. Having said that, your 4 weeks is a bit early to expect seeing results. I would give it a bit longer. Look to about two or three months. Our skin takes about a month to regenerate so you wouldn't be seeing any improvement after only taking the blueberries for 4 weeks. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Posted Wed 23 Dec 2020 09.10 by des78

@SharonG Thank you so much for your answer. I started vitamin D, CBD oil and i will try to find blueberries. Of course i have to loose 10 kilos also! I wish to be better. Good luck to all of us.

Posted Sat 26 Dec 2020 11.30 by Vicky (edited Wed 13 Jan 2021 19.32 by Vicky )

Hi I’m new here and just reading this post. Definitely going to try this. I have issues with my scalp which is Controlled by GP prescribed treatment however elbows are also an issue now, more the right than the left. I moisturise like my life depended on it but still doesn’t have a great effect Fingers xed for the blueberry miracle Thank you for sharing 😊 So.... a little update... blueberries are horrible lol however mixing them with other berries helps. I’ve also been applying aloe Vera gel and I think I’m starting to see some improvements.... nothing good comes easy so I will continue and hope that in time there will be more improvement Thanks all

Posted Sat 26 Dec 2020 11.32 by Pladecalvo

@ Vicky. Let us know how you get on Vicky.

Posted Wed 13 Jan 2021 19.26 by pdr321
A long sufferer of plaque psoriasis who found an effective treatment after 27 years (blueberries). I have now been clear more than 5 years.

Ciao Rossana, è sempre bello sentire storie di successo da tutto il mondo, auguri. Phil

Posted Wed 13 Jan 2021 19.40 by pdr321
A long sufferer of plaque psoriasis who found an effective treatment after 27 years (blueberries). I have now been clear more than 5 years.

To JH2020, I noted that you have not been seeing benefit from blueberries when coming off Ciclosporin. When I previously came off Ciclosporin, on every occasion I would get the most tremendous flare ups. Presumably this was because my immune system was kicking back in after being supressed. Over time I found that the treatment gradually lost its efficacy anyway. My condition is plaque psoriasis and not guttate, so we are not identical patients at all. It might be that you need to be off Ciclosporin for a while and back with your normal immune system activity before blueberries might help, just a thought. I was not on any medication when I started eating blueberries, so it was simpler to understand what was going on. Good luck, Phil

Posted Sat 16 Jan 2021 01.25 by Jene.JP

Really excited to try this. I have had psoriasis since I was 7 (am now 26 years old). I have used ALL of the topical corticosteroids and been following a no alcohol, no sugar, no nightshades, no gluten, no red meat diet for about 6 years now. SO TIRED OF THIS CONTROLLING MY LIFE. Since I started grad school 3 years ago my breakouts on my back have gotten worse and worse and worse. I think my back is guttate but that I also have plaque on my elbows, knees, and legs. After having the worst break out of my life after getting over COVID I am ready to give up and go on one of the oral medications. I will try the bluberry thing for a month first and see what happens! Thank you to you all for sharing. - Mariel

Posted Sat 30 Jan 2021 13.32 by UnknownEntity (edited Thu 4 Feb 2021 14.49 by UnknownEntity)

Blueberries Parse: Total number of people that participated in trying: 64 as of 30 Jan 2021. Conditions to be included in parse: 1) Posted on duration of Blueberries 2) Posted on effects of Blueberries Excluded: 1) People who said they started (but went MIA) Total: Blueberries worked for 39 (60.93%) of people and kind of worked for 8 people (12.5%) and did not work for 17 (24.6%) . Worked for (39): Plaque (17) Plaque with Nails (1) Psoriatic Psoriasis (1) Unknown (20) Did not work (17) Plaque (3) Guttate (4) Unknown(10) Half-Worked/Kind of (8) Plaque (3) (Slight improvements/ Claim lifestyle change/ Kind of changed) Guttate Psoriasis (1) (Less red, flat some small patches) Unknown (4) (Frozen Blueberries / UVB+Berries / New Skin Appearing) Average time for Blueberries Effect as claimed: 3.4 Weeks. It was noted that Fresh Blueberries was largely used and that Plaque Psoriasis appears to be the one to which this method cures. Other forms of Psoriasis appear to be unaffected from blueberry with the exception of Psoriatic Psoriasis being one case. Among people who reported Plaque Psoriasis (23), there was approximately a 73.9% (17) cure rate as compared to those that said half worked at 13.04% (3) and also 13.04% (3) that said it did not work. It is reported that the person who started this (Pdr) had not changed his diet and that Blueberries was the only variable changed. Some reported diet changes, but most of them stuck with the blueberry of 20 per day.

Posted Sat 30 Jan 2021 14.45 by SharonG

Seem to be working for me still :) 10 per day (Fresh BB's) every day for about 5 months :)

Posted Tue 2 Feb 2021 19.58 by pdr321 (edited Thu 4 Feb 2021 19.21 by pdr321)

Thanks UnknownEntity for this really useful and helpful analysis of the posts on this forum, much appreciated. But yes, all I did was to start eating blueberries.

Posted Wed 3 Feb 2021 22.37 by Redali31

Well, well, well. I have suffered on/off with scalp & ear canal(mostly) and plaque p on inner thighs, neck, face, brows etc since my early teens 30+ years... Suddenly- blueberries makes perfect sense. The best my skin has ever been was a couple of winters ago following a dog bite incident (bare with me, i’ll explain 🤔). I’m allergic to penicillin and erythromycin, so when i at the hospital and they were routing around for something for me to take, they could only give me an antibiotic that wasn’t really suited to a dog bite/puncture wound... A doctor told me to go to the supermarket and buy as many berries (part. blueberries) as i could fit in the cart and eat them for the next few weeks,.. as many as i could stand. When i asked him why? he told me how good they were at fighting bacteria and inflammation. So, i did as i was told for a few weeks. Not only did my puncture wound heal incredibly quickly but my skin healed up too - for quite a while- over winter, no less. Now, i eat berries all through summer (i grow them) and my skin is great in summer . i always put that down to sunshine because it’s grim through winter ... no sun; but no berries either!!!! Could this be the lightbulb moment i’ve been waiting for? I’m adding blueberries to my tesco online shop right now. i’ll keep you all posted 🤞🤞🤞🤞 Itchy Ali

Posted Thu 4 Feb 2021 15.04 by UnknownEntity (edited Thu 4 Feb 2021 15.07 by UnknownEntity)

Hi pdr321, I've made the changes to the post. Currently I myself on Week 3 day 4 of the blueberry mantra. I've had psoriasis since October but only diagnosed 3 weeks ago and did intense research on it. What I discovered is that oxidative stress is likely the cause of psoriasis which damages both a) the gut lining and b) Oxidative damage via ROS throughout the body. No bad spots over my body but I had a huge flare up on my scalp (likely because I used Calcipotrol on it to experiment and likely caused a reaction with the yeast or my scalp does not like it at all) Damage of the gut lining leads to Vitamin D deficiency commonly found in Psoriasis because the precursor to Vitamin D3 is called 7-dehydrocholesterol which is produced in the gut wall cells before it is transported to the skin cells. So if your gut walls are still damaged, no amount of sun will save your skin because the precursor is not produced in your body until you fix it. With a damaged gut lining, it would allow bacterial translocation which is why studies found bacteria DNA (from the digestive track) to be found in the blood. It also kills good bacteria when the gut is inflammed which would explain gut dysbiolysis in Psoriasis patients. Next, Oxidative damage as a result of either 1) Stress, 2) Alcohol 3) High Uric Acid (produced by either high sugar intake or lack of drinking water) causes free radicals to damage cells throughout your body. This would explain why Psoriasis lesions in a recent Harvard Medical study found that the cells in Psoriasis lesions was missing a component in it's DNA called 5-hmc. To repair 5-hmc, what they did was either to use UV light (which explains why UV works) to kill and reset the stem cells, or they injected the damaged cell with an ascorbic acid dirrivative. This is backed up further if you search that psoriasis people have lower oxidative capacity and higher amount of lipid preoxidation which means the body is under oxidative stress. If this hypothesis stays true, given all of the above, the prority to fixing Psoriasis is the following: 1) Restoration of the gut lining (cutting out red meat etc to reduce Anarchic Acid) to let it heal. 2) Restoration of the good bacteria in your gut incase you killed them all via Probiotic and to actually keep them alive with prebiotic (high vegetables) 3) Restore Psoriasis patients oxidative capacity through Blueberries which is also a help grow good bacteria. Once the above 3 have been completed, the body more or less needs time to repair itself. However, certain parts that do not get repaired, either through damaged DNA and whatnot can utilize UV to reset the Stem cells in your skin and program cell-death to allow new healthy cells to grow. This is just my theory. I am not a doctor, but I do read alot of Journal articles.

Posted Thu 4 Feb 2021 15.59 by Redali31 (edited Thu 4 Feb 2021 16.34 by Redali31)

Interesting hypothesis. Forgive my over simplification of your, evidently, extensive research ( & correct me if i’m wrong- please) But you seem to be suggesting that all psoriasis sufferers aught to be thinking about becoming : decaf- tea- total’-vegans; and should seriously think about taking up “beach yoga” ??? kill me now! How bloody depressing. I think i’d settle for a marked improvement by eating more blueberries and less red meat than i already do 🤷‍♀️ which, i have to say, is very little anyway. And not because of the “vegan police” but because i also eat lots of veg, fish, nuts, pulses, cheeses and all the other good stuff that makes life worth while & keeps a person fit and well. Because i have always had a good ,varied diet i don’t suffer with an imbalance of bacteria in my gut. Personally speaking, i know through years of experience, that my flare ups are almost always stress related. I do have some sensitivities (very dark choc is a big one- gives me headaches too if i have too much) but that’s it. I can pretty much pin point every single major flare up to a specific stressful period in my life. So, as far as i’m concerned, where nutrition is concerned, Variety is the spice.,. 🤗 But, of course, that’s just my opinion. 🤷‍♀️ 😬😬

Posted Thu 4 Feb 2021 19.26 by SharonG

@Redali31 Your post made me smile - in a good way - we are all different and have different triggers - I hate to give anything up to be honest - everything in moderation - a little bit of everything does you good? And yes 'variety definitely is..............?? BB's so far are doing it for me - they are the only thing that I have added to my varied diet but I do eat them every day - only about 10ish - so fingers crossed :) Blueberries? Superfood? I HOPE! ;) Lol

Posted Thu 4 Feb 2021 20.22 by Redali31

Thanks Sharon, It probably came across a bit sarcastic but i don’t mean to offend. I just got a little exasperated with the notion that we somehow must all responsible for our own long term p by virtue of our inability to eat properly... If only it were that simple, we’d all be popping blueberries, chomping on celery and alfalfa sprouts- shunning the wicked roast beef and skipping about,with clear bright skin, and lamenting the fact that we wished we had quaffed a gallon of yakult sooner! lol Im glad you took my little rant in the manner it was meant. There is more to de- stressing than anti oxidants Good luck with the BB’s Happy to make you smile in these troublesome period of our lives

Posted Thu 4 Feb 2021 20.59 by Redali31

To unknown entity, i hope my flippant response didn’t offend you. It certainly wasn’t my intention- truly. I actually agree with you that eating well and paying attention to our foods/effects is paramount to long term control of p. But it isn’t the only answer- it’s one of the weapons in our arsenal.... just one of them, I applaud your enthusiasm and obvious passion to gather/collate as much data as possible (knowledge being power & all that) but i believe that some of your previous posts on here have repeatedly touched on diet as being the potential magic bullet that non of us ‘lifers’ have loaded into our pistol yet. Well, yes, it can help. But it isn’t as simple as that for many of us. I have a very good diet (honestly & truely) I am, in every other respect very healthy, active... and although i am aware thst certain foods aggrevate my p- it is rarely the route cause. I do need to look into my vit D levels, & i thank you for that info. Please keep up the research and posting on here, You are clearly committed and your input is appreciated.. Healthy debate has its place along side group support too. Keep up the good work Good luck with your journey. I hope you find your answers, and that they are simple for you implement to maximum effect. Take care Ali

Posted Fri 5 Feb 2021 01.06 by UnknownEntity

Hi, I am not suggesting you stop eating meat. (I just ate a bunch) What I am saying is stopping for awhile until you repair what needs to be repaired. When you feel all is well, then you can continue eating as per normal and you don't need to live a vegan life (because honestly it kinda sucks). I've gotten no new spots so I am reverting back to my previous life albeit with abit more vegetables and slightly healthier. You also might want to do a total blood-work especially to check your Uric Acid and ESR. Psoriasis patients on average have an ESR (an indicator for systemic inflammation) of 16 and those with arthritis has an average of 30. Mine came out at 4 which is rather miraculous. Stress causes inflammation of the gut + oxidative stress, so it would explain why stress triggers psoriasis because you are essentially wrecking your body. Alcohol does the same. I hoped the information was useful and you roughly know what causes psoriasis. If you are doing a high stress job, down more anti-oxidants and prebiotic food to counter whatever stress you put on your body. Imo, after a full bloodwork, if all readings are good then you can go back to living normally. But if your ESR is high or you have an issue with your Uric Acid, then you won't be able to or else you may develop Gout or Arthritis. A balanced lifestyle essentially is good.

1 Posted Fri 5 Feb 2021 07.59 by Redali31

At the moment, lovie, what is ‘roughly’ causing my psoriasis to flare is the fact that my husband was diagnosed with cancer in the middle of a global pandemic. That’s why my inflammation markers are probably a tad higher than usual. He had surgery right at the peak of this current wave and i have been shielding him at home ever since that diagnosis. No amount of blueberries is going to alter how i feel about that and how worried we. have both been. However, the really good news (from yesterday teatime) is that because both of us are so good at eating the right things, generally, and we are both fit, active and positive people, he has made an incredible recovery from the surgery- in record time (aged 74 and still looks much younger). The tumour was removed cleanly. And Pathology/bloods show that he will not require further cancer treatment beyond follow up in April. We’ve both been on a “clean”diet for months.... still scratching though... but, funnily enough, everything feels a bit calmer today. It won’t stop me having my porridge and blueberries though- lol It will now calm down because my stress levels have lowered and i can concentrate on looking after me a bit more. That’s the point i was making yesterday- in a nut shell. Normal life consists of me running my own business and i absolutely love what i do. It keeps me sane and makes me feel blessed ever day... Yes, there have been challenges this year but there are plenty worse off than me. I consider myself a lucky lady in many respects, But stress is a fact of life. If you have no stress in your life, well, you are probably dead from the scalp down or 6ft under! To suggest i can - indeed should -balance my life with extra blueberries and other antioxidants well, forgive me, but what a crock! My life IS well balanced, thanks. The chinese have been doing this for 1000”s of years. it’s not new science. It’s interesting, certainly, and can be helpful to some people, but it doesn’t stop them all getting itchy skin, stomached ulcers, or cancer... Life happens, we react, we regroup, we take care & most importantly we carry on -regardless. If i was religious, i’d say ‘God bless’ but i’m not so i’ll just say smile more & don’t beat yourselves up for having enjoyed the 80’s & 90’s ... quit blushing, you know who you are.... lol! I’m going to treat myself to a g&t tonight and a bit of home made chocolate torte ... it’s 70% cocoa and i’ll scratch like a bitch with fleas tomorrow, but/ hay ho life is good! xx

1 Posted Fri 5 Feb 2021 08.26 by JD

don't the g and t is the real irritant together with sugar and that has both

To take part, sign in or register with us