Stelara (Ustekinumab) - effects on plaque psoriasis

Posted Mon 20 Mar 2017 14.41 by dazzatazz
Lifetime sufferer of Psoriatic Arthritis. Until recently psoriasis well controlled. Rampant now!

Hi all. I am new on here but glad to join you. I have just started Stelara and even though it's only been a few days I have noticed that the scaly skin seems to be flaking off a lot more. I also have a thick lesion on my knee and that has started to break up. My question is this.... Has anyone else noticed this and is this a response to the drug, or is it possibly just coincidental? What were the first signs for you of Stelara working?? I hope someone can give me a clue. Thanks, Darren

Posted Mon 20 Mar 2017 15.23 by thin-skinned
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

I have not heard of this drug so I looked into it's website and the list of problems reads like a cautionary tale. Take a look for yourself and then my advise is to return to the prescribing doctor. https://www.stelarainfo.com/plaque-psoriasis

Posted Mon 20 Mar 2017 16.14 by dazzatazz
Lifetime sufferer of Psoriatic Arthritis. Until recently psoriasis well controlled. Rampant now!

Thanks. Yes, I too had a look prior to posting. I have subsequently spoken with the Doctor and she isn't overly concerned as it is only the psoriatic lesions that are flaking, not the unaffected areas as with, say, Exfoliative Dermatitis - a potential serious side-effect. I just wondered if others had experienced this as an early indicator of the treatment working, or if a coincidence.

Posted Mon 20 Mar 2017 16.50 by thin-skinned
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

Okay, good luck with this treatment. Since my first search concerning Stelara, my search prompt app brought this government warning notice to my attention:- https://www.gov.uk/drug-safety-update/ustekinumab-stelara-risk-of-exfoliative-dermatitis

Posted Mon 27 Mar 2017 12.45 by dazzatazz

Thank you. I will keep a close eye on this I think. There are certainly changes in appearance, both good and bad. It's a confusing scenario.

To take part, sign in or register with us