Need advice from parents

Posted Fri 21 Apr 2017 23.12 by Sharon

My daughter is covered all over including her face,she is 12. She cries herself to sleep and asks me when is she going to be normal. Last night she said 'if it isn't gone by the time I'm 13 I'm going to commit suicide. As you can imagine I'm so worried. The earliest dermatologist appointment I was given is 7 weeks away. Does anyone know of private treatment I could get.

Posted Sat 22 Apr 2017 09.59 by AdrianC
Had Psoriasis for 34 years and tried most types of treatments

I feel your daughters pain. I had Psoriasis really bad all the way through secondary school and kids are really cruel. Has she said if she is being bullied about it? I would try things like dead seasalt baths and bath oils to try reduce the visible side of things. They made mine not look as angry etc. You should tell your GP what your daughter has said, it might help getting her seen quicker

Posted Mon 24 Apr 2017 08.24 by ShabbyClown

@ Sharon - dont let get her depressed especially she is in her teens - you know how teens are pressured by physical attributes, dont show too much worry because it will affect her. Regular treatment from the GP would help plus from natural sources - water, fruits, vegetables, exercise and sleep. :)

Posted Thu 27 Apr 2017 17.46 by ShabbyClown

Have you tried herbal treatment or changing her diet? As simple as eating junk food can trigger her psoriasis and make the symptoms worse.

Posted Thu 27 Apr 2017 19.23 by masshha1996

Hi, Just book a holiday asap somewhere warm and on the beach for at least 2 weeks and keep her outside in the sun and in the sea. Don't use any steroids just keep moisturizing. Eat healthy (no sugar, no dairy, no red meat) Just keep telling her she is beautiful. Good luck x

Posted Sat 29 Apr 2017 08.47 by EQ

As a teenager myself when suffering with psoriasis, I completely understand how she feels. At the time I wish I had money to go to Israel for 3 weeks and do treatment there at the Dead Sea. It has had a lot of reviews and good results but it's not really a 'holiday' as they treat you everyday whilst bathing in the sea and using the natural minerals and salts in the sea. I would take a look in to it, people have said that it's kept they're psoriasis away ranging from 6 months to 2 years. On top of that I would constantly be a pain to your GP, as much as it's annoying eventually it will work. I had a lot of trouble with my GP to start with but with previous bouts of depression that when I started going downhill like your daughter they done something and very quickly to!

Posted Sat 29 Apr 2017 20.16 by andrewb
21 years of psoriasis most treatments not effective currently on methotrexate injection at last very good control, hospitalized three times

Have a look into concealer type make up take advice on the correct type so as not to make it worse, British red cross camouflage makeup would be a good start check them out on Google

Posted Mon 1 May 2017 22.00 by Sharon

All the advice is greatly appreciated. I feel for you all x I was offered counselling with the adolescent mental health team but I have enquired about going private. From initial GP appointment to dermatologist appointment was 10 weeks, far too long for a child to suffer. X

Posted Mon 8 May 2017 13.59 by Nell

Hello Sharon xx Im 42 and Ive had bad psoriasis on my face and body since I was 10 months old...Ive gone through the exact same thing, tell her shes not alone!! that it does get better...ive tried herbal, chinese, private and honestly I can say that the best thing until your appointment is as someone said earlier..get her off sick through stress from school for a week or two...if at school, no swimming (chlorine), no P.E if shes self concious changing infront of others and she can shower at home ..write a note ...you must regain her confidence, she must feel safe, so move these worries out of the way for her...in these two weeks go to the beach, sand,sea and sun do really work...Im going to upset a few people here with what im going to say next but your Daughter is more important... dont use sunscreen or moisturiser as itll block the effects,but DONT let her burn...walk around to a secluded bay, let her walk into the sea with trousers and long sleeved tshirt over her swimming costume,or ankle length dress.. let her relax and splash about, wetting as much of her body as possible! ...get wet with her in your jeans...DONT mention anything or try to persude her, just run into the sea yourself (take a change of dry clothes) make it fun, splash her..The sea water will still work through the clothes... itll sting a bit but it means its working!!! She needs ultimate proof that your face doesnt show worry or pity or disgust! (i know you wont but she will think it!) itll make her stronger to know you dont care what she looks like, that you love her anyway!! she WILL watch for signs from you of these so remember actions speak louder than words... be strong yourself FOR HER .. when she feels comfortable to strip down to her costume let her sit on the sand..Take big towels for her to hide under if she needs too.if she feels self concious let her dress in warm dry clothes and fill up a couple of 2 litre bottles of sea water to take home for her face at night... maybe buy her some face powder make up..cheap will do..its all about her confidence, once thats a bit better, her psoriasis will lessen... dont point out any psoriasis but if she asks you if she looks okay (and she looks very red) tell her its a bit red but okay, use powder, but whatever you do dont fib...she might catch her reflection in a supermarket mirror and youve had it then, she will collapse inside and not trust your word... I have gone through all of this...you need to chat anytime get intouch im here for you both xx Helen x

Posted Mon 15 May 2017 00.07 by pdr321 (edited Mon 15 May 2017 00.09 by pdr321)
A long sufferer of plaque psoriasis who found an effective treatment after 27 years (blueberries). I have now been clear more than 5 years.

Sun, sand and sea have always been fairly effective at clearing my psoriasis, but sadly only for a couple of weeks after a holiday. Then it always returned just the same as ever. And so the cycle continued for 27 years until last September. I Started eating blueberries, about 10 a day - every day. Since that time I have remained almost completely clear. I stongly advise you to limit fizzy drinks, chocolate and sweets - perhaps to the odd treat once a week or so. This works for me anyway. I hope your daughter sees benefit soon, it breaks my heart to hear of this condition in children. I was clear about 1 month after beginning with the blueberries. This was a treatment that I discovered by accident, it still amazes me after my long quest (27 years) that the answer was so simple, for me anyway.

To take part, sign in or register with us