underwear and psoriasis

Posted Mon 8 May 2017 12.48 by welshevo

afternoon all, i have suffered with psoriasis for as long as i can remember but recently has got worse and no creams or ointments work, my elbows, and knees and scalp are all bearable, however one spot right at the bottom of my back insnt..., the problematic spot starts on the base of my back ( where underwear waste band sits etc boxers ) and spreads down the top of buttocks either side... this in turn gets really hot, itches, and cracks....and causes some pain and discomfort, so i contacted the family doctor who advised to keep moisturized, and cool..... this is impossible wearing boxers so he also suggested at looking at changing the underwear... from boxers to a "more breathable choice,such as gym underwear that keeps the body cool and absorbs sweat " so off i went and googled this...majority i can find are thong style like a clima-cool for running... im open to the idea but would prefer something that A- wont cause a ruck with the wife, and B- can a thong seriously be comfortable? but i can see the logic... any thoughts or suggestions? :)

Posted Mon 8 May 2017 13.08 by Nell

Hi I tried to reply but it wouldnt post it up x

Posted Mon 8 May 2017 13.21 by Nell

Okay that worked so here goes again but itll be shorter this time lol... Ive had psoriasis for 42 years since I was 10mths old,so I know my shhhh erm stuff lol.Ive had exactly the same problem as you three times last year and never since...what I did was go to the sea (im in Wales) and fill a 2 litre bottle with sea water...go to the Doctor to ask to try "Dovobet Ointment" as Id heard it was very good, I dabbed the area clean with just sea water on tissue, touch cold but do it! and I dabbed it with dry tissue as its extremely painful and mine had a 2 inch deep split...I applied a thin layer of this ointment just before bed, got straight in with no underwear on, and lay on my side... to stop ointment coming off or putting pressure on my sore ass.Oh take care in the day not to re split it open and do the exact same for a couple of nights...it worked for me, I know its excellent ointment, and hope you have the same result, im confident you will..take care, love to both you and your wife, keep your chin up,Psoriasis isnt the end of the world xx

Posted Mon 8 May 2017 13.27 by Nell

P.s just get cotton underwear that is looser and the elastic doesnt sit on the majority of psoriasis, maybe a size bigger boxers, but nothing ridiculous x

Posted Tue 9 May 2017 12.27 by welshevo

thank you for your replies... the reasoning for suggesting a thong i think is because the patch that is at the base of back and crack is in the boundary's of a thong so this would remain protected within the triangular shape ... this is how it was put to me anyway ...but will defo try some of the suggestions here also! :D

Posted Thu 11 May 2017 06.27 by Joxx

Might sound silly but if you have psoriasis any further than the waist line avoid black underwear and jeans x

Posted Thu 11 May 2017 08.05 by welshevo

now that is interesting, so if i was to opt for a black climacool thong for instance this would make matters worse? why is black worse? and what colour would you suggest? .....

Posted Thu 11 May 2017 14.13 by Joxx

Any colour other than black really honestly, I wore only black jeans to college for 2 months and my waist line to my thys reacted terrible it got to the point id to leave my class and go to the toilet to itch!! Because of where it was too it's not a place to itch in public it was really bad, I lost a family member in March, and cut college off as it was too difficult to go back and have only really been wearing pjs!! And I ripped my black jeans so started wearing blue again and my thys are clear! I slept in black leggings a few weeks ago, and woke up during the night with really itchy legs again, so haven't done it since, I have psoriasis basically everywhere and couldn't believe that my thys cleared, I did notice it with black underwear too, because of down below, also sented sanitary towels give me a really hard time but that's becoming quite avoidable! Once I'm not using them the itch and the redness goes away and I'm clear, it's the small things that make a difference like that I've started to notice x

Posted Thu 11 May 2017 14.27 by welshevo

thats is remarkable joxx! i will take your advice and the others here and give the salt water a try, as reluctant as i am to take heed of the docs advice im gonna search for a sport thong that is not black, and also apply dovobet cream in affected ares and see how it goes... surely one of the above should improve things massively! wish me luck! :)

Posted Thu 11 May 2017 14.31 by Joxx

Good luck:) x

Posted Fri 12 May 2017 12.36 by welshevo

Quick update- after finishing work i nipped into town, picked up a cheap plain "gym" thong in nude colour, ...granted in the ladies department store but hey ! ....went home had a bath in aveeno dried and dabbed... used aveeno cream for now... slipped thong on and continued my night.... woke up this morning... and to my utter surprise! not so itchy! and sore! so im guessing with the added dovebet cream and salt sea water this patch will be a thing of the past!! hopefully :)!!

To take part, sign in or register with us