UVB unit for home therapy.

Posted Wed 11 Nov 2020 18.46 by Jackie

It was a few years ago I looked when purchasing bed, but it was Phillips, the factory was close to me and i know alot of people who worked their.

Posted Tue 2 Feb 2021 17.26 by Liz

Hello, I'm new to this forum but have suffered with Psoriasis for over 20 years and it's currently raging over 80% of my body. I have recently been prescribed Acitretin but having read up on it it seems the side effects are too risky so I'm now scared to take it. My dermatologist has also suggested injections of something relatively new called Ustekinumab does anyone on this forum have any experience of this ? The sun is the best cure for me in the Summer and I would really prefer to start with a UVB lamp but I don't seem to be able to rent one anywhere near London- does anyone still have one they are selling ? As a lot of others have said, my dermatologist wont agree to endorse home use for me but it seems to be a win for a lot of people on this chain - how long is it safe to used them for? Really appreciate any advice - slightly desperate !! Thankyou

Posted Tue 2 Feb 2021 18.02 by Vicky

Hi Liz, sorry to hear you are suffering. I so recommend UVB treatment at home, I have a canopy, it was expensive but a life saver, the best thing Ive bought, so worth it. I was so bad too, now it has improved a lot. It is very safe if you stick to the guidelines, which come with the unit, & easy to use. Also good option to rent one to save money. Please don't hesitate to ask me any questions, happy to help.

Posted Tue 2 Feb 2021 18.16 by Liz

Hi Vicky, Thankyou for your speedy response. Where did you purchase your UVB canopy from and how often do you use it ? Do you mind if I ask how extensive your P was and how much you feel it’s improved ? Thanks Liz

Posted Tue 2 Feb 2021 18.47 by Mike Quigley - 57 from

Hi Liz. Sams here totally agree with Vicky. This time last year I was in a terrible place. I had psoriasis over 80%of my body. Back, torso, legs, arms, hands and top of feet. I was so distressed with this after visiting my GP who's only suggestion was creams, steroids etc. Then went to Dermatologist private and he suggested UVB light therapy which I had already been researching and was not sure, but with his suggestion I took the plunge. I first rented one and the results were astonishing after 8 weeks I was almost clear the only stubborn bits were the tops of my feet which even those eventually went. The unit is in my spare room which I now use very occasionally if I see a slight patch or so. It does work take it from me and stops all that itching discomfort and embarrassment. I rented from a company in Bristol and eventually bought the unit. Canopys are expensive but well worth it.. If you need any more details let me know. Regards. Mike.

Posted Tue 2 Feb 2021 19.14 by Liz

Thankyou for taking the time to respond so kind of you both. From everything I’ve read on this forum over the last few years all the feedback points more positively to UVB vs medical options. Astonishing results after 8 weeks sounds amazing .... I will look into the Bristol company! Thankyou again and so happy for you it’s worked ! Best Liz

Posted Tue 2 Feb 2021 21.01 by Ammeesor (edited Tue 2 Feb 2021 21.01 by Ammeesor)

Hi Liz, where abouts are you geographically?

Posted Tue 2 Feb 2021 21.06 by Liz

Hi I’m in North London.... Liz

Posted Tue 2 Feb 2021 21.08 by Ammeesor (edited Sun 18 Apr 2021 19.52 by Ammeesor)

Feel free to message me on here. I’m in W4. Happy to let someone else use it if it helps. Although I’m moving from London later this month Emma

Posted Tue 2 Feb 2021 21.14 by Liz

Just emailed you Emma - thankyou!

Posted Wed 3 Feb 2021 13.36 by Vicky

Hi Liz, I bought mine from MBS (Much Better Skin), 5 tube canopy, this one --- https://treatpsoriasistl01uvblamps.co.uk/shop/canopies/metallic-canopy-containing-5-philips-tl01-narrowband-tubes/ I think you can rent them also from them. My skin was severe, all over body & face, within 2 weeks it started to feel, look smoother, then improvement within 4 weeks. I was using the steroid cream a lot, after 4 weeks noticed I was using it less, it looked less red, felt less sore. Now after roughly 2 months 2 weeks it has improved so much, looks, feels quite clear, still itch/dry at times & a few stubborn patches like ankles that are worse, but sleeping so much better & hardly using the steroid cream at all. I use the canopy 3 times a week, I started 18/11/20, I will continue maybe until March or when it has cleared completely. I will use it again next winter to maintain, it should never get so bad again. I used to go to the hospital for UVB light treatment for many years, then didnt need to do it again for about 8 years until now. My canopy is the same as in the hospital, Phillips TL01, but it is 1 sided instead of a full cubicle, so I just need to do each side of body, front, back then each side. I gave up waiting for hospital UV treatment, due to covid, would still be waiting now. My skin was so bad for about a year, it was hell, so at last!! Best of luck to you, please don't hesitate to ask me anything else if it helps.

Posted Sat 13 Feb 2021 14.53 by euans

hello everyone, I recently started using my home 9 tube unit and it does appear to be working. Only 10 sessions in so early. Just curious how others have felt the home units work compared to the in hospital cubicles. I've had 2 courses in hospital and both times I went pink quick early on. I am already up to 1min for front and 1 min for back with my home unit and skin has never pinked yet. It was a second hand unit so bulbs might not be quite as powerful but wondering if anyone else felt they had to use the single side unit for longer (obviously allowing for it only being singled sided!!!) than they had experienced in hospital. I am finding my sides are not getting much treatment so will need to add in some dedicated side time :-) thanks everyone!

Posted Sat 13 Feb 2021 15.59 by Vicky

Hi, I'm using the full one sided canopy same as yours but the 5 tubes, not quite so wide as yours, mine is not curved either. I found I went pink after 1st treatment like at the hospital. I have it all over body so need to stand on something to make it a bit higher to get my feet/ankles done. Also Ive been doing the same time for each side, so 4 times- (front, back, left side, right side). In the hospital it was just once as it was a 4 sided cubicle. You may need to do the sides of your body less time than the front/back as your canopy is curved? (you don't want to overdo the front/back when doing the sides). So maybe you started too low, so increase by 10 seconds until your skin feels pink/warm. Be careful as more than 10 seconds increase could make you burn. My skin is very sensitive, I have very fair red hair, so I started at the lowest - 30 seconds, started 18/11/20 but now on 1 min 50. But I did read that it may take longer to clear up with these home canopies than the hospital ones, even though they are the same Philips TL01 tubes. I think mine is taking longer to clear than when I went at hospital, but it was many years ago, I only did it twice a week at the hospital, but at home I can do it 3 times a week. My skin has improved a lot, it was severe before, so will keep going until it clears up. I would keep going with yours, but don't increase obviously if it gets too red. Good luck!

Posted Sun 14 Feb 2021 18.07 by SusieQ

Hi - I have a Philips canopy sunbed which has been converted with 10 TL01 tubes which I am looking to sell if anyone is interested. I no longer use it and need the space. I am in Somerset.

Posted Tue 16 Feb 2021 16.13 by euans

Hi Vicky, thanks for the response. I have started to do some side time as well now but as you said, due to it being curved I am reducing the side time to make sure I don't overdue any front and back that might get some light form the curve. I am only at just over 1 minute on the front and back, so will keep increasing until I get a response. It does seem to be working a bit so just need to keep going until I find the level that gets that slight reaction.

Posted Wed 17 Feb 2021 14.40 by Vicky

Yes it will improve, you will get there, it takes time, but worth it in the end, hope it improves soon.

Posted Mon 15 Mar 2021 16.01 by TinaT

Hello, I've been reading the discussions regarding the canopies and great results people are having. I have a couple of questions please; Has anyone used the hand held devices and what were results like? Will the canopy ones treat the scalp as well? Feel quite desperate at moment. It seems every day there are more 'spots' coming up. I do have it nearly everywhere, but more like spots rather than patches joint together, with exception of elbows and scalp.

Posted Mon 15 Mar 2021 17.05 by Mike Quigley - 57 from

Hi Tina. From my personal experience i didnt find ths hand held units were strong enough and i purchased 2 different ones. Maybe if its a very small patch easy to reach it might work if yoh are really patient and carefull. But i ended up purchading the canopy and it worked brilliantly. Results in almost 3 weeks. Ive had mine dissapear now and i was covered top to toe and sympathise with you because i know how distressed i became. This was ladt January it started 2020 and ny late March completely clear skin. Stopped using for the remainder of that year when ig began to slowly return just before Christmas and i left it. Silly mistake because by mid January it was in a few more places so re startred using machine and it went again. Sum up my advice dont waste your time and money on hand held small lamps. Get full bed and yes even worked on my scalp the full bed when hand helds did not. Let me know if you need more info and i could email you. Mike

Posted Mon 15 Mar 2021 17.38 by Vicky

Hi Tina, yes I agree with Mike, the hand held ones are no good if you have it on most of your body. The full canopy ones (one sided), are brilliant, well worth the money. You should see an improvement within several weeks. Good luck.

Posted Mon 15 Mar 2021 19.08 by TinaT

Thank you Mike and Vicki for your responses, very grateful. So a canopy it is. Now the minefield of which one! 5 tubes, 9 tubes made up of 4+5 or 7+2 or a straight 9. Please may I ask what canopies you use or would recommend? Disappointed to see that MBS seem to have an 8 week waiting list, but I suppose that's better than the 18 weeks I waited for hospital ones last time I had treatment

To take part, sign in or register with us