UVB unit for home therapy.

Posted Sun 19 May 2019 20.39 by paddyoosulllivan

Thanks for the reply Jackie. Ye I think its probably worth the investment.

Posted Tue 28 May 2019 21.00 by AndyScot

Hey all, I have a 9 tube UVB canopy that I have used for one course of treatment. It’s great but I just don’t have the space for it and I’m hitting the MTX now so would like to pass it on to someone for a reasonable price. It’s one of the MuchBetterSkin ones, freestanding upright or over bed, with goggles and manuals etc as it came. Quite large so would need an estate or a van to shift it, I’m based near Glasgow. Open to offers.

Posted Tue 28 May 2019 22.05 by lisab

Hi Andy Scot. .I would be interested..please could you email me to discuss..thanks..my email is budznbling@gmail.com

Posted Fri 13 Mar 2020 09.09 by TimW - 50 from Worthing

Hi all I have a UVB canopy that I have used for one course of treatment. Like Andy I dont have space any more - its also one of the MuchBetterSkin ones, I leave near Brighton - if you are interested at a reasonable pric please email tim@chillibyte.co.uk Thanks Tim

Posted Sat 28 Mar 2020 01.33 by Mike Quigley - 57 from

Just wanted to say that I am new to this forum but wanted to share some info. I have PSA which appeared to be mild but since last November I had a really bad flare up of psoriasis all over my body ,which bled and was very sore. Saw a private dermatologist who said it was guttate psoriasis and recommended light therapy ,however living in deepest west wales my options were limited so I eventually found Skin matters of Bristol and rented a canopy from them ,they were so genuine and helpfull it was such a relief to source and find one considering where I live. Anyway 4 weeks into using the canopy and the results are excellent ,not totally gone but on the way ,going to continue for another 4/8 weeks and se if I can completely clear it . But the relief and results are worth every penny,considering purchasing this at end of rental time,but can only recommend the treatment and skin matters of Bristol,

Posted Sat 28 Mar 2020 17.29 by Jackie

HI, Mike Welcome, glad you are finding good results with the bed, and I have to agree although expensive it is worth it, had mine 3 years now, but noticed I don't have to use it very often at all now,please keep us updated on your progress.

Posted Sat 28 Mar 2020 18.34 by Mike Quigley - 57 from

Hi Jackie. Thanks and of course I will keep you all updated. Its so nice in a strange way that there are others like myself as I was feeling quite idol and fed up until I got the bed. By the way for info for tsb1987 I am using enstilar as well as light treatment and it appears to work together fine with no interactions or side effects.

Posted Tue 5 May 2020 14.22 by Winchy

Hi All, Im looking to purchase a UVB canopy bed for home use. I had 30 sessions at hospital ending earlier this year and was completely clear, unfortunately Im back to 80% coverage. Having lived with this awful disease all my life I have seen a glimmer of a different me and I want that all the time. I have tried MBS who say their supplier cannot source plastic at the moment. And the company in Bristol never came back to me. Im based in Essex and looking to buy either a pre-loved unit or new. Can anyone offer advice?

Posted Wed 6 May 2020 19.00 by Mike Quigley - 57 from

Hi. The company in Bristol is the one I used and was excellent. The owner is not well and is being run by friends at the moment. If you need a alternative telephone contact number for them please feel free to contact me as I can give you the number I eventually got hold of and was able to sort out a uvb bed. Like yourself I was 70 to 85%covered.and after 9 weeks of use I am 95% clear. mquigley706@gmail.com.

Posted Thu 8 Oct 2020 20.40 by Ammeesor

Anyone in the London area with a machine I could pay to use? Fed up of NHS and waiting lists! Or anyone know how much Bristol place charges for hiring? Although I know it’s a 1k deposit for some of these places isn’t it to hire 🙈 Thanks

Posted Fri 9 Oct 2020 12.37 by Ammeesor (edited Sun 18 Oct 2020 18.04 by Ammeesor)

The Bristol place the gentleman on the phone is on the hard sell trying to sell machines without giving direct hiring or buying prices. He advertises hiring and buying them. Felt he was extremely rude on the phone. I then agreed to a call back for buying a machine. Haven’t heard anything for ages. Won’t be bothering with that company.

Posted Wed 14 Oct 2020 17.43 by Vicky

I have had UVB light treatment at the hospital before but not for over 10 years now. My skin is really bad again but I would like to get a home unit this time. Do I need to see a dermatologist to be able to do this first? Or can I just use it at home on my own like I did at the hospital before? Has anyone had a unit for more than 5 years, any problems?- do they need servicing/maintenance? Was thinking of getting the canopy from MBS Canx5 with 5 tubes. Thanks, any help much appreciated!

Posted Wed 14 Oct 2020 18.39 by Carljones640

I'd personally just use one at home unless you can a quick enough appointment. I've used mine for 15 years for maintenence , just trying to source 17 new philipls Tl0L tubes for it, if anyone can recommend a cheap supplier ! Amyone in my area who sufferers can use mine free of charge no problem . Happy to help any sufferers x

Posted Wed 14 Oct 2020 21.05 by Ammeesor

Hi Carl what area are you in? That’s very kind. I’m sure someone will give some money for the kind offer

Posted Thu 15 Oct 2020 17.03 by Jackie

Carljones640 That is so kind of you, I am sure someone will really appreciate that gesture. SO glad there are still kind people in this world willing to help out someone else. Glad you all are finding the beds helpful, still using mine, but only twice a week or so if that just as maintenance when it flares up, it's bee a godsend.

Posted Thu 15 Oct 2020 17.52 by Vicky

Thanks Carl for your help. That is very kind of you to offer the use of yours & no charge! The tubes can be bought from MBS (Much Better Skin). Good luck.

Posted Fri 16 Oct 2020 08.08 by Summer

Ammeesor I also contacted the guy in Bristol, i didn’t like how he spoke to me, decided there and then I wouldn’t buy from him. MBS the guy was completely different, I called him several times with different questions, He was so helpfully never rushed and gave me all the info I asked for, perched in 2017, had no problems, They also supply the bulb.

Posted Sat 17 Oct 2020 19.42 by Raebot

Hi everyone. Hoping someone can help me. Been a long time sufferer and recently been reoffered light treatment at Chelsea Westminster hospital, after previously using this 10 years ago. As expected times for treatment only 10-4pm which is really not doable. Does anybody know if you can hire a home unit in London? They all seem to cover just Midlands or Manchester regions. If not is there a best canopy style unit anyone can recommend to buy. I've got plaques all over which are getting out off control since I gave up using enstilar spray last week.. Sigh..

Posted Sun 18 Oct 2020 18.06 by Raebot

Aww cheers for the heads up, I actually had a reply from MBS this morning regarding a rental. Nice to see someone is on the ball. Im over in Clapham Junction, how about you? Crazy that there seems to be nowhere in the south east selling or hiring these.. I can only imagine there are a lot of stress induced psoriasis sufferers around London!! Let me know how you are getting on with your unit when it arrives, I'm keen to see how it goes. And best of luck with getting pregnant later in the year, that would surely be some good news ine hats a pretty miserable year so far 😊

Posted Mon 19 Oct 2020 14.00 by Ammeesor

Hi all, can I ask when buying second hand. How do you know how used the bulbs are? As they have a set usage before they need replacing don’t they? Thanks for your advise

To take part, sign in or register with us