Zorac Gel (tazarotene) - need a substitute

Posted Wed 5 Jul 2017 11.41 by littlegirlblue83

Hello, I've had psoriasis for 30 years and never had much success with treatments over the years. About 4 years ago the doctor prescribed me with Zorac Gel and it has worked really well for me, keeps it under control and has even cleared it for a few months at a time. Unfortunately it seems it has been discontinued. I got a prescription 2 months ago and none of the chemists are able to source it for me. My GP prescribed calcipotriol for me instead and it's caused an outbreak. I've had this before with Dovobet/Dovonex and it's never worked for me. My GP doesn't seem to know what to prescribe next (she's suggested a few I've already used with no success) and my dermatology referral will take a few months. Can anyone suggest another cream/gel which works in a similar way to Zorac so I can ask my GP at my next app? From what I can find online the active ingredient is tazarotene which is a retinoid. Thanks

Posted Wed 5 Jul 2017 12.37 by thin-skinned
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

As far as I am aware, topical retinoids are being phased out in the NHS because it binds to the body's protein , so probably by now no longer available on NHS scripts. Calcipotriol is an analogue of Vid D and is safer when absorbed, so is now used as a replacement for retinoids. Unfortunately, there is nothing else out there yet to use other than Calcipotriol until one of the research labs comes up with something new. Perhaps as a stopgap your GP could provide a mid potency steroid cream until you see someone in dermatology.

Posted Wed 5 Jul 2017 14.48 by Clarelewis

What's the best over the counter creams?

Posted Thu 6 Jul 2017 12.20 by thin-skinned
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

There are many out there and really it's a trial and error state of affairs. If you want a mild steroid cream then a 1% hydrocortisone cream 30gms (small tube) should be available OTC but that will depend on the policy of your pharmacy of choice.

To take part, sign in or register with us