New to this...

Posted Tue 1 Aug 2017 17.59 by Claire89 (edited Tue 1 Aug 2017 18.06 by Claire89)

Hi there my name is Claire and im 28 years old. I have had psoriasis for 5 years now (I feel everyone's pain)....now my dermatologist has suggested methotrexate as the next stage as I now have psoratic arthritis. I've recently used enstilar foam with great results but I was only giving it for 2 weeks now it's returning at a fast pace....any thoughts about methotrexate??

Posted Tue 1 Aug 2017 21.28 by LeoM

Hello Claire My dermatologist suggested I do the same thing. I did a little research on it and desired the Psoriasis was easier to deal with than the meds. I was not happy with the possible side effects I have it on my hands real bad and my legs. Hands split and bleed and I were gloves when I have an outbreak. I have just learned to live with it and it does stink. It's real sad to have to ask someone to open a coke or a bottle of water cause I don't have the strength to do it Hope you have a great rest of the week Leo

Posted Tue 1 Aug 2017 22.00 by CanadianVal
I am sure that all the drugs I have been on have affected my health in other ways.I also suffer from extreme itch and I am tired of people c

I tried the methotrexate pill and the side effects were horrible so my doctor tried it by injection as usually it is easier on the system, but I couldn't tolerate that either. I was put on Otezla and the results have been amazing. Within two weeks my severe scalp psoriasis cleared up and my body is so much better. I also have psoriatic arthritis and since being on this drug, my pain has completely gone away. I wake up with a little stiffness which goes away as soon as I get moving. I consider this drug as changing my life and would recommend it to psoriasis sufferers.

Posted Wed 2 Aug 2017 11.57 by Claire89

Thanks very much for sharing your experiences I've been doing my research too but haven't been able to come to a decision yet....

Posted Wed 2 Aug 2017 16.55 by tracey

Hi Claire, I was on Methotextrate for 2 years, 20 mg, then reduced to 15mg injections. When taking the tablets for the first couple of weeks I did feel sick but that passed once my body got used to it. The results were good, but I did have to keep having blood tests as it affected by blood count and liver, so I had to have liver scans as well. My doctor took it upon herself to stop my injections, against the hospital treatment advise, and my psoriasis has come back with a vengence within weeks and my whole body is covered. I have now purchased a UVB narrowband canopy to treat myself at home. I would give the Methotextrate a try, better than Acetretin which made most of my hair fall out. Good luck

Posted Mon 7 Aug 2017 13.48 by Claire89 (edited Mon 7 Aug 2017 13.49 by Claire89)

Thanks for that info Tracey I think I'll give it a try. Ill give anything a try at this point....😑

To take part, sign in or register with us