Dermovate - Long Term Use!

Posted Thu 19 Oct 2017 11.38 by Louisiana

I would be interested to gain any advise/opinions on the long term use of Dermovate. I have it prescribed for the first time in August for p of the scalp, it worked wonders but sadly I have had another flare up. I went to my doctors yesterday for another prescription and he has given me 200 ml (to keep me going) and put it on repeat prescription. He has said to use daily for a week and then 2 - 3 times per week thereafter and try to have a break from using it if I can. I did ask if it was ok to be on this long term and he replied that it was fine. From reading about this on the internet my understanding is that it not to be used long term. Has anyone else been prescribed this long term? Is it safe to be used indefinitely? Unless I consider taking oral medication then my doctor has said there is nothing else that he can prescribe. When I saw the dermatologist he said that most people with scalp p use topical treatments and the side affects with oral medication do not sound very appealing to me. I would appreciate any advice/experience or alternative treatments that would help!

Posted Thu 19 Oct 2017 12.28 by thin-skinned
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

Unless you are very lucky there is usually a return of the dreaded P after using steroid creams. Dermovate is a high potency steroid so repeated use should be avoided as in time it will thin your skin as I found out to my cost ... hence my user name. ----> The following side effects are known to be associated with topical corticosteroids. Just because a side effect is stated here doesn't mean that all people using Dermovate will experience that or any side effect. Skin irritation at site of application. If you experience any signs of allergic reactions, such as increased itching, redness or burning of the skin after applying the cream or ointment, you should stop using it and consult your doctor. Thinning of the skin. Reduced skin pigmentation. Stretch marks. Groupings of fine blood vessels becoming prominent under the skin (telangiectasia). Excessive hair growth (hypertrichosis). Acne. Spread or worsening of untreated infections.

To take part, sign in or register with us