New and Needy!

Posted Mon 30 Oct 2017 20.53 by NikSam72

Hi all, My older Brother has Psoriasis pretty much all over. In the last few months my scalp has been flaking and getting very thick, crusty and sore. It’s reached the point where I can’t face getting my hair cut. I’ve tried so many different shampoos and have spent a small fortune. I saw a GP today who diagnosed Psoriasis (not too surprised) and has prescribed Dovobet? The chemist didn’t have it, so I need to get it tomorrow (but I’m 99% sure that’s what he prescribed). This GP was in a hurry and running more than an hour late. He didn’t explain anything about Psorisis, how to use the cream, what to expect etc. Well that information I can find out and the tube will tell me the dosage. My concern at the moment - while using this cream, what shampoo should I use as I still haven’t found anything that helps. Tonight I’ve used baby shampoo, which I know doesn’t help, but some I’ve bought really hurt the weeping sores, some make my scalp really dry and tight and I just decided to use something very gentle. Any help or advice is really appreciated. Thank you.

Posted Mon 30 Oct 2017 22.17 by thin-skinned
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

If you use Dovobet Gel make sure nothing else contains salicylic acid (basically aspirin paste) or part of the Dovobet (Calcipotriol) will be partially neutralised.

Posted Mon 30 Oct 2017 23.30 by pdr321
A long sufferer of plaque psoriasis who found an effective treatment after 27 years (blueberries). I have now been clear more than 5 years.

After 27 years of suffering I discovered an amazingly simple treatment that works for me. Since then I have been clear for one year :-) Eat blueberries every day, if you are like me you should be clear in a month. One other tip, only drink alcohol in moderation, certainly not every night. Sounds too easy doesn't it! Good luck.

Posted Mon 30 Oct 2017 23.34 by NikSam72

Thank you for your replies. I’m on quite a few different medications for chronic pain so I haven’t had alcohol for over 10 years, so that won’t be a problem! I love blueberries so I’m more than happy to try that! I’m still very keen to know of a shampoo to use, that anyone can recommend?

Posted Tue 31 Oct 2017 09.42 by thin-skinned
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

My doc prescribes a coal tar shampoo called Capasal but then I'm not using Dovobet. My wife has sensitive scalp so uses baby shampoo as she found that to be best for her situation,

Posted Tue 31 Oct 2017 10.22 by Louisiana

I use Phil Smith Gently Does It! Tea Tree and Mint Shampoo and Conditioner, does not heal the psoriasis but does not sting my scalp when I have a flare up (I have tried Nizoral, TGel, H&S, Baby Shampoo, Vosene....but none of these were any use). Another Shampoo is Philip Kingsley flaky scalp shampoo my hairdresser told me to try, but it is expensive!

To take part, sign in or register with us