Thyroid link?

Posted Wed 14 Mar 2018 21.46 by Claireg36

Hi, I have psoriasis and have done since I was 5 (I’m now 38!) and more recently psoriatic arthritis. I have been on apremilast since sept last year and it worked amazing...until I had a huge flare up in Jan and it’s still going! I’ve been reading some articles regarding psoriasis and a link to a thyroid problem - has anyone experienced this as I have other symptoms of thyroid issues. I am going to my Doctors next week but I find this forum so helpful I thought I’d ask! Thanks

Posted Thu 15 Mar 2018 11.51 by Aurora
I have had a patch of psoriasis on top of my foot for over 10 years.I used to think it was athlete's foot.Now I seem to have developed psori

Hi Claire , I have had an underactive thyroid - Hashimoto's ,an autoimmune condition for 30 years - I'm 59 now - and psoriasis for a few years,including an attack of psoriatic arthritis affecting my knees. I tend to go for the wholistic/natural/complementary approach if at all possible though I'm definitely not against modern medicine.After all,I rely on Thyroxine! I found a series of acupuncture treatments very helpful for the psoriatic arthritis.For the skin and general wellbeing,Omega 3 oils and probiotics have been helpful. I think that one autoimmune condition makes you more likely to develop another so take a multi-thronged approach. With best wishes

Posted Thu 15 Mar 2018 16.50 by Claireg36

Thankyou so much for replying - I actually had some acupuncture today! I’m feeling hopeful for holistic therapy!

Posted Tue 20 Mar 2018 13.20 by Tjack

Hi Claire deffinatley you will have a thyroid issue. Do you have trouble sweating ? Most people with psoriasis struggle to sweat which is vital for the body's elimination of toxins. As the skin is the largest elimination organ of the body this can be a double blow for psoriasis sufferers as toxins cannot be sweated out. Your thyroid controls your body temperature. You can check your temperature under your arms. Should be between 97.8-98.2. If under this you most probably have an under active thyroid. Hope this helps a little bit. P.s steam saunas are great way to sweat and eliminate toxins. X

Posted Tue 20 Mar 2018 19.47 by Claireg36

Thankyou! I went to the doctors today to request a blood test...which they are happy to do although the doctor was very dismissive and basically said she is sure I won’t have a thyroid problem 😕...we shall see! X

Posted Thu 22 Mar 2018 09.43 by sandie10a

i have under active thyroid for many years now and also psoriasis on both my elbows, as do 2 brothers and a sister, also 2 of my daughters. we all have it on our elbows. mine has become so very sore and rough to the extent that it has worn holes in clothing at the elbows. i have tried many creams and lotions from my GP, but none of it has helped at all. any suggestion on relieving my soreness would be greatly appreciated. thank you inadvance.

Posted Thu 29 Mar 2018 09.18 by Terik

@sandie10a Just to soothe and moisturise I’d recommend aveeno cream. It not a prescription cream, you can buy it in any chemist, but it’s the only cream I’ve found that really soothes itchy, burning skin. It’s not at all greasy, some creams and lotions I can’t tolerate because of the way they feel on my skin. Using it straight out of the fridge is even more calming. Also maybe try a cream with a high urea content to keep the skin really soft, I use a 10% urea cream for general maintenance on my feet, I have pustular psoriasis, and when necessary I use a 40% urea cream, also over the counter. I buy this one in Germany, not sure if there’s a uk version Hope it helps :)

To take part, sign in or register with us