Scalp psoriasis and arthritis

Posted Sun 25 Mar 2018 21.40 by Emmapples

Hi all, I’m new to the forum. I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis 2 years ago. Although I’ve had psiorisis on my scalp since being a teenager (I’m no 38) I was put on methotrexate for my arthritis symptoms and it did help a little with my psoriasis too, but I felt so I’ll taking it so had to stop. The psoriasis on my scalp is now so bad it’s moving down behind my ears, neck and forehead. I’m losing hair and it’s really affecting my life. Does anyone recommend any shampoo or conditioner I’ve tried lots off the shelf but any help or advice appreciated x

Posted Tue 27 Mar 2018 09.09 by jk76

Hi, I'm in the same boat with my scalp. I feel like I have tried everything that has been suggested on this site, and by my dermatologist. The problem I have is leaving treatments on over night as I have to get up early for work every day. Treatments seem to be time consuming and very messy! I'm off work this week so I am slapping on the coconut oil every evening. By the morning I am able to scrape off most of scales, but as soon as I wash it out I'm back to a very dry scalp. Think its just trail and error. Have a look through the forums and try what others are suggesting. Really hope you manage to find something that helps

Posted Tue 27 Mar 2018 17.01 by Ian

Hi All, I`m new to this,I suddenly started with psoriasis in 2016,never had it before.The first to go were my feet and then my hands,I tried light therapy which did nothing other than burn me and the I tried Acitretin. This worked for me but the side affects were bad,With throat problems and nose bleeds that wouldn`t stop almost to the point of needing a transfusion.I`ve given up on tablets I`m using Enstilar which is very good.For my scalp I use Tegel Coal Tar shampoo,when used daily works very well.

Posted Tue 27 Mar 2018 19.04 by Emmapples

I’m the same with that JK , I get picked up at 6:50 every day for work and this morning I remembered I’d slathered my head in cream to try and help, had to try and get it all out again this morning. Last night I brushed my hair over the sink and as disgusting as it sounds there was at least a tablespoon of skin in the sink. It’s the worst I’ve ever seen it :( I’ve trued the coal tar shampoo but that never worked for me unfortunately.

Posted Tue 27 Mar 2018 20.26 by Ian

You need to leave the shampoo on for at least 20 mins so it can soak into the skin.Have you tried Dovabet for your scalp?

Posted Mon 2 Apr 2018 23.07 by jk76

So far I have tried dovobet, betacap, betamethasone lotion and foam, sebco, cocois, tgel, alphosyl, coconut oil, olive oil, lavender oil, exorex. I’m sure there are more. I’ve tried leaving treatments on for as long as possible. Tried washing hair every day and tried not washing every day. I’ve been taking vitamin d3 for a few months now. Nothing is working it’s just getting worse. Grrrrr

Posted Mon 2 Apr 2018 23.36 by Emmapples

I’m genuinely thinking of just shaving my head and buying a wig then I can treat my scalp directly properly - it terrifies me , but I just don’t know what else To try! X

Posted Tue 3 Apr 2018 16.44 by Ian

Its a horrible thing to have,my scalp isn`t that bad but it had one large patch at the front,I`m having to let my hair grow.My main problem is the palms of my hands they are red raw,skin keeps growing but it gets very sharp when it dries and causes me more pain nothing seems to work on them and I`m quite self aware of it,you see people stare but they dont say anything.

Posted Mon 9 Apr 2018 20.42 by EllieJayne

I have it terrible in my scalp and that's where it started for me. I was prescribed a shampoo from my doctor called capasal which has coal tar and coconut oil in it amongst other things and it has helped to clear up the really bad and painful patches on my scalp. That shampoo is the only thing that's worked on my head so far.

To take part, sign in or register with us