Doublebase Gel, and Doublebase Dayleve Gel

Posted Wed 16 May 2018 14.12 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Wed 16 May 2018 14.47 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

I have been using Doublebase gel, in a 500g pump-dispenser container, on a combination of gitatte psoriasis and plaque psoriasis. I have also been using Oilatum Cream, and found them both to be excellent emollients. I have just discovered Doublebase Dayleve Gel. The 500g option comes in the same pump dispenser as the "regular" Doublebase Gel. Both of the Doublebase products have the same two active ingredients, in the same % . The Dayleve product has one additional ingredient in the "other ingredients" list. When the Dayleve product is used it is absorbed in the same way and seems to moisturise just as effectively as the "standard" product. The difference is that is feels to leave a protective coating on the skin as a sort of barrier. This seems to make the benefit last longer than the regular emollient. I bought the Dayleve from a UK-based online chemist (express chemist) for £8.49 for the 500g container. It was widely available but this was simply the best price I found. It is not cheap, but I do not feel that it is exorbitantly expensive, unlike some products. Neither of the products is prescription only, although my GP did prescribe me the regular Diprobase Gel. https://www.doublebase.com/

Posted Mon 2 Jul 2018 03.24 by lwrightuk

OhNo_NotAgain: Thank you so much for answering all of my questions. You have helped me so much. I'm going to try the chemist in the airport this morning to see if they stock the Doublebase. If not, I'll go to my usual chemist tomorrow.

Posted Mon 2 Jul 2018 05.00 by lwrightuk

Is there a way of applying the Doublebase. This morning the texture went from a gel to an oil as I was applying it to my legs. Is this how it's supposed to be?

Posted Mon 2 Jul 2018 08.06 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I am not 100% sure what you are seeing. If I hold the 5005 pump-dispenser and shake it, the Doublebase Gel inside wobbles like a white jelly or a blancmange. When I operate the pump and pump a small amount onto my skin or hand - it LOOKS just like many other emoliient/moisturisers such as diprobase or E45 or Oilatum Cream. As I massage it in it does not change to an oil - it behaves basically the same way as the other emollient/moisturisers that I have used. What is different (compared to other products) is the degree that it seems to be absorbed, the degree of moisturisation that I feel and particularly in the case of the Dayleve Gel it seems to leave a barrier on the skin - not a greasy residue. I am sorry if I cannot help anymore.

Posted Mon 2 Jul 2018 17.14 by lwrightuk

I'll see what a new bottle feels like. Maybe I'm confusing a 'barrier' feel with an oily sensation. I've been using branded moisturiser (mainly Nivea) for years and I have been used to the moisturiser being completely absorbed into the skin.

Posted Mon 2 Jul 2018 17.48 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Mon 2 Jul 2018 18.26 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

It sounds like it is probably doing what it is meant to - the Dayleve gel in particular feels different at the end of massaging in than other emollients I have used - it definitely does noit rub in completely like Nivea or johnson's baby lotion does.

Posted Mon 2 Jul 2018 18.24 by lwrightuk

:-) Thank you for all of your advice. I'm finding it all a bit of a minefield at the moment. It was a bit of a shock when I went to the doctors as this has been the first time someone has listened to my concerns and worries and showed genuine care and understanding. I was so happy to finally have been listened to that I did not ask the questions you have been kind enough to answer for me. Thank you again.

Posted Mon 2 Jul 2018 18.27 by OhNo_NotAgain?

You are welcome. By the way, I don't find a problem with Doublebase making my clothes greasy - but I wait a short while after applying it before getting fully dressed.

Posted Mon 2 Jul 2018 18.33 by lwrightuk

What would you call a short while, I gave myself 15 minutes this morning, then got bored so got dressed. If I'm told to leave it 30 minutes, 1 hour or 5! I'm happy to do so but have no idea where to start.

Posted Mon 2 Jul 2018 21.04 by OhNo_NotAgain?

15 sounds good to me, more than enough, 10-15 . I shoer, apply doublebase, then I just sit in my boxers at my desk and check email and news then get dressed.

Posted Mon 2 Jul 2018 21.54 by lwrightuk

Great, thank you. 10-15 minutes it is.

To take part, sign in or register with us