High protein diet and psoriasis response

Posted Thu 31 May 2018 20.31 by Georgieb37

Hi I’ve recently started a training programme to get healthy and tone my body. This consists of strength training at a gym and following a high protein diet of eggs, lean meats green vegetables, nuts and a protein shake each day. After 4 weeks I am already getting into good shape and feeling much more energetic but the downside is an outbreak of psoriasis! Does anyone else have any experience like this? I’ve already swapped whey protein for a vegan substitute was thinking possibly to many eggs? (Have them everyday for breakfast) any advise appreciated 😊

Posted Fri 1 Jun 2018 00.49 by Rece94

Hi, Try reading ‘Healing Psoriasis’ and the ‘Healing Psoriasis Cookbook’ it tells you the ins and out of nutrition and what may cause a flare up and how to prevent said flare up. I’m currently on this strict regime mentioned within the book and I’ve not had a flare up since which is an improvement as in the past I’ve month long flare ups. Hope this helps!

Posted Sun 3 Jun 2018 15.06 by SlimPickenZ

Hi Georgie. I'm a long time gym enthuisuast and psoriasis sufferer. I mainly do muscle building and a high protein diet is a key ingredient... eggs and meat being my main sources along with a balance of carbs, fats, fruit and veg. Last year I decided to do 6 months as vegan to help my psoriasis... strictly no dairy, meat, oil and I even cut wheat out as I felt it was having a negative effect. After 6 months my psoriasis was all but gone.... but I had lost all my size and I was very thin! I looked ill but felt great! I have bulked up with eggs and meat again now and of course my psoriasis has returned with a vengeance! It seems I can't be the size I want to be and psoriasis free. It may be your diet as a whole that's affecting you or it may just be a certain food like eggs.... you could try elimination and see if it helps maybe. Great vegan protein shake to try is Vivo.... all good stuff and tastes great! If you need any further advice I'd be happy to help.

Posted Thu 7 Jul 2022 16.23 by Indianguyuk

Hiya Georgie, I am in a similar situation. Did you ever change whey protein powder and test? Not sure if I can send you a private message on this site

Posted Sat 9 Jul 2022 04.15 by Mary1968

Hello Georgieb37 I find nuts (both raw and roasted) really make psoriasis worse for me. Peanutbutter is just the absolute worse.......which is a shame, as I also find it delicious. And yes I have to limit my eggs too - cannot have more than four a week. Whey protein powder will also flare me up, as dairy is one of my triggers for a flare. I had to swap over to a vegan pea protein one. In regards to your protein powder. Get one with the least ingredients, as some brands have unnecessary fillers in them like caffeine, wheat and artificial sweeteners (which can also be inflammatory)

To take part, sign in or register with us