Scalp psorasis shampoo

Posted Thu 21 Jun 2018 08.30 by Lancs4

Hi has any one tried the body shop ginger shampoo.? I know its for dandruff but have read it is also good for scalp psorasis. I have just ordered some to try out, has any one else used it and had good results?

Posted Sat 7 Jul 2018 14.22 by LucyA

I have used the Body Shop ginger shampoo - I liked it as a shampoo but unfortunately it didn't do much for me in terms of improving my psoriasis. What I've found really useful is non-foaming / sulphate free shampoo. It takes a bit of getting used to, but after 5 years of constant scratching and flakes, my scalp is finally in a good place. I now use Percy & Reed Perfectly Perfecting Wonder Cleanse, (which is ridiculously expensive and I'm sure there must be better value options out there!). Once a week, I use Sebco coal tar treatment as prescribed by my GP, and wash it out with a more traditional but low foam shampoo (Avalon Organics tea tree). I know psoriasis is such an individual thing, and what works for one person may not work for another, but wanted to share my experience as it's the only thing that has worked for me.

Posted Sat 7 Jul 2018 16.11 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I have been trying the Body Shop Ginger shampoo, and was planning to post an update. Nice shampoo- ie feels nice, nice smell, nice lather - but did nothing at all to reduce flaking or itching in my scalp unfortunately. I have seen/felt benefit from T/Gel, Alphosyl, and just a frew days ago i started using "Alphacade" which a friend sent to me (you can buy it in UK online). 38 years ago I was prescribed Selsun (yellow) when I had my first outbreak. It worked effectively, and also tarnished a couple of gold rings I was wearing. This year I tried Selsun - no effect on the psoriasis and interestingly, no tarnishing of the same gold rings. It is as if something has been changed in the formulation.

Posted Sat 7 Jul 2018 17.38 by Lancs4

Thanks for your replies i feel the only thing the ginger shampoo is good for is the itching for a few hours...by the next morning its back to normal :( im using Tgel but doesn't seem to be making a difference at all! I think a trip back to the gp might be needed. Im desperate to get this under control!!

Posted Mon 10 Sep 2018 19.49 by Helena

Hi, I didn't find the body shop ginger shampoo helped but can anyone recommend a shampoo to use in between times of using Polytar? I have tried so many including baby shampoo and they all seem to irritate after a few days! Thanks

Posted Mon 10 Sep 2018 19.54 by Lancs4

Hi the ginger shampoo didnt help me out either unfortunately. For now im using the E45 dry scalp shampoo in between tgel and fingers crossed no irritation as of yet. Hope this helps

Posted Tue 11 Sep 2018 07.21 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Helena: I think I have tried almost every shampoo around. The most helpful (for me) have been T'gel, Alphosyl and Aplhacade. 40 years ago I swore by Polytar, but this year with a new outbreak, I found it did nothing for me. Alphacade is manufactured in France, I got the best price online from a company called Cocooncenter, but do your own searches and check prices. It does not contain coal-tar and is based on salicylic acid. I was originally sent 2 bottles by a friend to try. I then bought some from Amazon - there were some reasonable prices and some that were exorbitent. I have ordered twice from France and received reliably and quickly, and at an affordable price.

Posted Tue 11 Sep 2018 17.24 by Salma

Hi ... I am new to this group but senior in psoriatic Arthritis. I have tried many shampoo's but I find it after few day the scalp get more dehydrated. It's a home remedie if any one like to try it's available in your kitchen. You can apply for few hrs it will hydrate you scapl nicely. You can apply twice a week it will give you peace. AC vinegar 2tsp (balancing ph level) Yogurt 2 tbsp (ph balancing) Honey 1 tbsp (nurshing) Pure coconut oil 2tbs (moisturising) Shower cap Mix all well, apply on scalp cover with shower cap and scarf. Keep it on for few hrs and wash with mild shampoo. You can repeat in few day. You will feel the difference. Your scapl feel sooth & hydrate.

To take part, sign in or register with us