Psoriasis for thought

1 Posted Tue 24 Jul 2018 15.03 by Chef

I want to share an experience about my Psoriasis that I feel is a little bit unique. I have had only mostly moderate psoriasis for almost 10 years now, like many of you I manage it best I can through my diet. The interesting thing is that my partner also has had Psoriasis for almost 10 years minus 4 months. It began when I moved jobs and worked with a colleague who had moderate to severe Psoriasis, after being there for a few months I used the common toilet right after them and had a terrible splash back, enough for me to note it. It was then 2 months later I came down with my Psoriasis (dec 2010) and I've had it ever since. My partner 4 months after me then also come down with Psoriasis and has also had it ever since. I realise this may sound somewhat odd but I'm very interested if anyone else can share this sort of experience? The chances that both myself and my partner came down with this disease within 4 months of each other are somewhat ridiculous given neither of us had heard of it before hand and there are no family relations that have it for either of us. I am very interested in peoples thoughts on this as I have been searching for answers but there appears to be little to no research done on this specific area of a possible stool transfer style scenario, I would love to see a discussion around this topic if anyone can relate, as it could potentially help understand P a little better. I'm sure many will disagree with this possibility, if so please link to any study or research that can show this scenario isn't possible and is only coincidence.

1 Posted Mon 20 Aug 2018 21.07 by Chef

Hi Wendy, Thanks for your response I appreciate the advice, however I will add a little more info to help with this discussion. No I am not a chef and don’t work nights. I am also in the Southern Hemisphere so it was actually summer. Like many I have tried everything under the sun. But I’m not going into that here. In short I believe I simply got psoriasis from a shared toilet scenario, I would like to hear if anyone else can relate to this or has found any evidence against this possibility? Thanks

2 Posted Thu 30 Aug 2018 21.56 by Chef

Hi Wendy, Thanks for your response, I will provide some further information as our understanding of autoimmune diseases in the last decade has grown significantly. There have been plenty of tests around psoriasis lesions etc to show that is indeed not infectious, so yes you are correct, however none of these tests have included an FMT( Fecal microbiota transplant) type scenario. At least every doctor I have spoken with is unable to point me to any test that has explored this specific method of transfer and I have been unable to find any research in this specific scenario. I welcome anyone to find any study on this. The genetic factors are also thrown in the mix to give a random result e.g. something like only 1 in 10 have the genetics to develop psoriasis. Here are some of the latest research snippets in other autoimmune disorders where gut bacteria have been found as a possible culprit. There are many other articles in this area but these are some quick and simple ones. MS to Mice https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28893978 Lupus Gut Bacteria https://news.yale.edu/2018/03/08/enemy-within-gut-bacteria-drive-autoimmune-disease It would be great to see some further FMT research into psoriasis also as great progress is being made in this area with other diseases. Potentially we are the 1 in 10 that disagree with a simple bacteria that the majority of people are fine with. Time will tell. Thanks for your time Chef

Posted Thu 13 Sep 2018 12.49 by Chef

If anyone has any research or data in this area it would be great to hear your thoughts, as the human microbiome mapping is showing some very interesting results in many areas at the moment, I would love to hear some other thoughts on this area / field of research. It would be completely ridiculous to dismiss something that is simply not explored and has no data yet. Thanks

To take part, sign in or register with us