Acitretin

Posted Thu 30 Jan 2014 13.55 by ally123
significantly affected during my 20's, now in early 30's and on biologics, seeing great results.

Hi everyone, I've just started on Acitretin, been taking for a couple of weeks now and my skin's actually got a bit worse, which the pharmacist did warn me so I was expecting, however I was just hoping to see what others' experiences were with this? Thanks.

Posted Wed 26 Mar 2014 10.38 by mparnold

Hi, I've recently been prescribed 25mg acitretin after creams were unsuccesful, but am reluctant to start because of the side effects.I 'd be grateful for some feedback from actual users. Thanks

Posted Tue 2 Sep 2014 11.38 by mrwys1
I have plaque psoriasis all over my stomach and back moderate to servere

Hi, Just thought I'd share my experience with Acitretin. I started on it about 6 months ago, after using UVB light treatment in the past (which worked well but the P came back within a few months). Since using Acitretin I have had minimal side effects, just dry lips, peeling feet and possibly became a lighter sleeper. I originally didnt see a huge change but the P gradually reduced and now if someone didnt know otherwise they'd think I never had P. I am young, fit and still drink alcohol, which although is not advised is probably not as bad as you may believe it to be (as long as your blood tests are fine). I have discussed my lifestyle with a Derm and they have agreed this is still fine as long as you are healthy with no problems with your blood tests. Acitretin is essentially a high dose of vitamin A. I took 25mg originally then upped it to 30mg and that slight rise was enough to basically keep all the P hidden. I hope others find this as beneficial as I have, just thought I'd share my experience. Cheers

Posted Fri 3 Jun 2016 12.48 by masiemoo
Scalp, elbows, knees, feet, hands, ears, eyes, arms

I have only been on Acitretin 25mg for 2 weeks. The first week I took every day and then the second week I decided to miss a day because the side affects were getting problematic. My face was flaking skin, it was like I had a chemical peel and the skin was now peeling away. My lips were very dry, inside of my nose became very dry and my ears were flaking too. My arms were shedding skin but my hands and feet were the worst and peeling at an excessive rate. I am constantly moisturising from morning to night. Can any other Acitretin users comment? Will it ever get better. I know it is early and they say it gets better before it gets worse.

Posted Mon 17 Apr 2017 21.59 by SarahmurrY65

Hi, I've been on Acitretin for about a year now after methotrexate killed my immune system. Dose was upped to 20mg per day about 6 months ago, and the side effects are not nice, dry lips and nose, nose bleeds, bleeding gums, peeling skin on my hands and feet - feel like I'm walking on glass most of the time. The worst though is the hair loss, it has got really thin and I cry when I see it in the mirror. On the positive side the psoriasis is much better, nearly gone in most places except my legs and scalp. Have tried to reduce does following last appointment with Derm but psoriasis getting worse again. Back with the Derm next week but not sure what to do. Do I change tablets again???

Posted Thu 28 Jun 2018 14.39 by akeelz
I have in my arms, inner thighs, legs and feet. My lifestyle and family life is been affected severely, i changed country to look for cure b

HI Guys, I have been using Acitretin for the past 6 months and my psoriasis is much better, yest there is lots of side effects, but in other hand i have a much better quality live. i m at the moment 50mg daily, but i what i do every now and than i skip, like if i take for three days in a row the fourth and fifth day i won't take and it is working very well with me. By the way i am 175kg or 28 stones hance the high dosage. For me this medication is doing wonders.

Posted Sat 29 Oct 2022 00.17 by abz1976

Hi I've been on this 2 weeks. Will the dry lips get better over time? My lips are so sore cracked and swollen :(

Posted Mon 31 Oct 2022 11.00 by redsquirrel

thanks so much for all your experiences - I really hope the dry lips and skin peeling subsided? Or did you each just have to accept this as a side effect? Im considering acitretin as an alternative to methotrexate so thanks for your comments which really help. II have a sensitive allergic immune system and the body is rejecting methotrexate - I dont get on with a particular brand and have been struggling to breathe with rapid heartbeat also so I will stop taking them. I do not want to put my health at such risk. thanks again.

Posted Mon 31 Oct 2022 18.08 by abz1976

Methotrexate really wrecked my liver that's why I'm on acitretin now x

To take part, sign in or register with us