Thyroid issues alongside psoriasis

Posted Thu 4 Oct 2018 21.19 by Emvy

Just a query, I’ve had thyroid issues for over 20 years ( over active / thyrotoxicosis - now under active ) . Does anyone know if there’s a link between thyroid conditions and psoriasis??

Posted Sun 7 Oct 2018 14.43 by Emvy

Thanks x worth looking into further it would seem

Posted Fri 4 Jan 2019 04.25 by Doc7215

I am wondering why I broke out in psoriasis days after a thyroidectomy. What is the "hormone or chemical connection"? Is it my immune system Is weak because I just had a surgery? Is it my immune system no longer has the thyroid to attack? I don't know. There has to be a reason.

Posted Fri 4 Jan 2019 10.09 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Fri 4 Jan 2019 16.38 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Doc7215: when I came out in Guttate Psoriasis last year, my GP (who seemed well informed) suggested that it could be a response to an infection (although I had no symptoms of anything, he prescribed a 7-day course of antibiotics anyway) OR a response ( a confused response) via the body's immune system to the trauma of my recent hip replacement. Some people report outbreaks of guttate after a throat infection. He suggested that it could subside in around 6 months, which it did. You do not mention what type of psoriasis you have, but I wonder if it could be a reponse to the trauma on the body of the recent operation, rather than specifically linked to the thyroid?

To take part, sign in or register with us