Weight and psoriasis

Posted Mon 17 Mar 2014 05.41 by viffanytu
I have psoriasis all over my body since I was about 5. I'm 16 now so it's been a while.

I was wondering if anyone got rid of their psoriasis by eating right and losing weight? I'm overweight and have psoriasis. I'm currently working on losing weight and eating right(not just for my psoriasis but for cute clothes and summer!!), and I also tan a bit every day (it really helps my psoriasis). I've learned that you can treat psoriasis simply by diet, so I just wanted to see if anyone has found that method useful?

2 Posted Mon 17 Mar 2014 05.49 by viffanytu (edited Sun 23 Mar 2014 06.11 by ricalt)
I have psoriasis all over my body since I was about 5. I'm 16 now so it's been a while.

To add to this, I'm asking this because I know psoriasis is a gene thing and none of my parents have anything close to this... and none of our relatives have anything like this either. I'm basically the first one to have something like this so I was thinking it wasn't a genetic thing. Maybe I gained it because I became overweight? So if I lose weight, maybe I can get rid of it? Thoughts, comments?

Posted Wed 19 Mar 2014 04.22 by Aussie Mike (edited Tue 9 Feb 2016 14.59 by sioux)
Legs, elbows and scalp. Self esteem problems and would love to be able to be seen with my shirt off on a hot day.

Hi v. I've posted about a genetic sequence HLA-B27 they have discovered that is connected with Psoriatic Arthritis and an associated simple diet that may help. I have both Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis and it's a catch 22, the swollen knee meant I couldn't exercise much so put on weight, that made the knee worse. Early days for me so far, but the no starch diet I'm on will hopefully drop some weight as well. About 8% of the UK population has the genetic sequence but not everyone gets symptoms, so if you have the gene (can get a test) then no doubt your family members didn't encounter the same "trigger" that set yours off. Cheers Mike

To take part, sign in or register with us