Methotrexate or acitetrin

Posted Tue 18 Dec 2018 09.19 by ScottD

Hi I've suffered from psoriasis for about 6 to 7 years now it started with a tiny patch on my back now I have it all over starting from my feet to my scalp i look like a red spotted dalmatian, I've tried all sorts of lotions and potions, enstillar foam works good on my scalp but nothing on my body, come the 8th of Jan I've been giving the choice to start methotrexate or acitretin has anybody got any advice which would be the best to go for?

Posted Wed 19 Dec 2018 16.55 by Salty Backpack (edited Wed 19 Dec 2018 16.56 by Salty Backpack)

Methotrexate worked wonders for me (lasted roughly year before i was stopped) Acitretin doesn't appear to have worked for me (currently been on this for 3/4 months but i'm sure it has made it worse)

Posted Wed 19 Dec 2018 17.12 by ScottD

Methotrexate it is then Did you suffer from any weight gain and hair loss from it cause it says you do in the main side effects, really don't want to lose my hair because it's all over my scalp and my hair hides it

Posted Thu 20 Dec 2018 17.27 by Salty Backpack

I had no side affects all to the point i forgot i was on it :)

Posted Thu 20 Dec 2018 18.20 by ScottD

Oh well that's good to here have you tried cyclosporine someone has mentioned that to me and said it worked wonders for them, if you haven't tried enstillar foam it may be worth a go worked wonders but my skin had become resilient to it

Posted Thu 20 Dec 2018 19.14 by bazzerd
It started as a small patch on my shin 12 months ago..now covers approx 70% of my body..just started UVB light therapy..I am 54 and never ha

Hi there, I've only had the big P for about 4-5 years, and the only tablets that worked for me was, Methotrexate, and after 18months it slowly stopped, plus it started to affect my liver function, so it had to be stopped, but for 18 months it was absolute heaven, no single sign of any rash at all, and no side effects at all. tried every other tablet (listed elsewhere on this site) and cream/ointment, that either made me feel sick or didn't work at all. I was hospitalised twice with erythradermic P, to the point where I started self-injecting biologics last Friday, (Taltz) No side effects so far. hope this helps. regards Baz

Posted Thu 20 Dec 2018 19.24 by ScottD

Sounds like methotrexate is going to be my selected choice hopefully I don't get anyside effects Baz...... So once you stopped the meds did patches slowly start to reappear over time or did it redevelope quick

To take part, sign in or register with us