Drowning in excess skin

Posted Thu 24 Jan 2019 16.34 by Dondon2601

I’ve had psoriasis since I was about 15 and I’m now 30. I have a very pale freckle complexion so have always had sensitive skin. When I was 18 I was referred to a dermatologist as my psoriasis was very severe. After a long slog of treatments and some UVB treatment allow of it cleared up. However it’s never completely gone away and now it’s getting really bad again and I’ve only just been referred to a dermatologist by my doctor after asking for a very long time to go back. Even when my psoriasis was at its worst when I was 15 onwards I never suffered with it on my face. Over the last few years it’s become quite bad on my face, I’m overweight and I already have a lot of self-esteem issues so I find it very difficult dealing with psoriasis being on my face as vain as it sounds. The last month or so I’ve just felt like it’s a battle I’m never going to win And I’m really losing my ability to look on the bright side when it comes to my skin condition. I just feel like no one understands how detrimental psoriasis is do you mental health as well as your skin. Feel like I’m drowning in XS skin always leave in little bits of skin everywhere in pain a lot of the time unable to wear a short sleeve top because people stare. I used to love wearing make up I’m going out but I don’t any more I try and avoid putting make-up on and just make myself look as plain as possible basically because I don’t see the point in trying to make an effort with myself whilst I’ve got psoriasis. I found this website and thought it be nice to talk to like-minded people who understand what it’s like to live with this condition and it’s not just about vanity orLooking good it’s about self-worth and not feeling like a freak. Sorry to be so depressing just having a really hard time at the moment

Posted Mon 28 Jan 2019 19.28 by Angela435726

Hi :) I'm Angela, 24, and from the Philippines. I just went to this site to find some comfort in my daily struggle as someone with severe psoriasis, ever since I was a kid. I totally understand where you're coming from and I share the exact same sentiments. I have brown skin, so my psoriasis is pretty evident all over my body, because it's also become discolored over time. My derma termed it as "hypopigmentation", so kinda like Michael Jackson's disease, in a way. I;'ve never tried UVB treatment, but I have a pretty good doctor here, so she's provided me with good ointments and lotions to maintain my skin better. Like you, my skin will forever remain like this now. It's also my own doing, because over time, I've found pleasure in peeling my skin, out of stress. So, the wounds just kept recurring, until I caused permanent damage to myself and my body. I guess that's also a big factor to why I have really bad self-esteem issues. In my mind, I feel like no one could ever really love me for everything that I am, because my skin asthma is a big part of my package. My skin is constantly dry, so I should moisturize more than once a day, but I also don't have the persistence to manage it when I'm just at home or once I'm already out of the house. The times I do moisturize and make an effort to make my skin look as normal as it can is when I go to the mall, or to gatherings with friends and family. So, I relate to you, because I have a lot of excess skin too. It's embarrassing, because it's so much more evident when my house-helper uses the broom to swipe the floor, and all my excess skin is seen in piles. I completely understand you and your mental struggle with it too. Luckily, my face doesn't show it as much, because I've managed to scratch everything, but that. But, I also get you with the make up issue, because there's a big difference whenever I put on make up vs. when I don't. It kinda boosts my self-confidence, just by feeling pretty, but I find it useless too when I'm feeling low, because what's the point of fixing up, if I can;t fix the rest of my body. So, I either go out, covered up with make up on, or just go bare and not have a care in the world, because I don't feel like anyone can really love me for me anyway. Hahahaha take that for depressing. :) You're not alone.

To take part, sign in or register with us