Are proton-pump inhibitors linked to psoriasis?

Posted Fri 25 Jan 2019 17.13 by Hunter84

Hello there. I’m 27 and have had excellent health my entire life, recently diagnosed with psoriasis within the last 4 months. I’m certainly no medical professional. Recently, my dermatologist had a punch biopsy procedure done in three different areas of the rash, which is mainly consistent to my upper torso, confirming the rash was in fact psoriasis. I’ve done endless research on what could’ve caused this random diagnosis at this point in my life and I’ve found a strong correlation between the long term use of proton-pump inhibitors and developing psoriasis. The only medication I’ve ever been on for an extended period of time has been Omeprazole, otherwise known as Zegerid, Prilosec OTC, Zegerid OTC, other drugs in this class include, but are not limited to lansoprazole (Prevacid), rabeprazole (Aciphex), pantoprazole (Protonix), and esomeprazole (Nexium). Proton-pump inhibitors are a group of drugs whose main action is a pronounced and long-lasting reduction of stomach acid production, which can really alter your stomach lining and digestive system, leading to ‘leaky gut’. I’m familiar with the whole strep throat/tonsillitis virus that causes some to develop guttate psoriasis and that wasn’t relevant in my case. I guess what I’m wondering is if anyone on this forum that has been diagnosed with psoriasis later on in life, has ever been on a long term proton-pump inhibitor? I find it very ironic that the directions on many proton-pump inhibitors say not to exceed 14 days of use, yet doctors prescribe this stuff for a much longer time span than that. Just looking for some feedback and trying to shine some light on this potential issue. Thanks!

Posted Mon 28 Jan 2019 11.30 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Mon 28 Jan 2019 22.05 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

I was diagnosed with a peptic ulcer in 1993, and treated. I have been on PPIs (omeprazole) since 1997. My psoriasis (plaque) appeared in 1980, and receded from about 1983. I was left with a couple patches on my elbows, a patch in my groin and an occasional flakey scalp (which might not even have been psoriasis) after a year or two on once-daily PPI (omeprazole) I reduced to every 2-3 days or if I felt burning/indigestion. In 2006 I had put on weight and started to suffer regular acid reflux especially at might. Was put on twice a day esomeprazole for a few months, and lost weight, and my reflux subsided. I continued taking omeprazole daily, and then around 2007/8 I cut back again and I still only take it once every 2 or 3 days. There was one deviation from this -in Nov 2016 I broke my anke and took omeprazole twice-daily while I also took ibuprofen as an anti-inflammatory (which irritates my stomach if I do not pair it with a PPI). Once my ankle healed I want back to one omeprozole 2-3 days. Throughout this time, no increase in psoriasis. In Dec 2017 I had a hip replaced. Same regime with ibuprofen and omeprazole for a week or so, then back to occasional use as needed. 3 months or so later, I came out in guttate psoriasis all over my body except for my face hands and feet. Still only taking omprazole once every 3 or even 4 days now. Doctor reckoned guttate might be a reaction to the trauma of the surgery, triggering wayward immune response. He suggested it might go away after around 6 months -and it did. In my own direct experience I do not see any correlation between my omeprazole usage and my psoriasis.

Posted Mon 28 Jan 2019 22.08 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I have also double-checked the official guidance for dosage/usage of Omeprazole in the UK . . . there is no blanket advice to limit use to 14 days. If you buy omeprazole over-the-counter then YES, the patient guidelines there suggest a maximum of 14 days use unless otherwise instructed by a Doctor. This is to try to avoid people extensively self-medicating in the long term without any monitoring or diagnosis from a qualified doctor, and potentially masking a serious condition until too late. For example: from the patient guidelines for OTC Prilosec (which IS simply omeprazole) : "Patients are not to use for more than 14 days or more often than every 4 months unless directed by a doctor. " This same guidance does not appear in the official medical advice and gudelines for omeprazole. In fact from the UK health authorities, there is a list of different conditions for which omeproazole might be prescribed. SOME of those conditions suggest an initial limit of 4 weeks, 6 weeks or even 8 weeks. Some conditions have no initial limit suggested at all. Depending on the condition diagnosed and being treated, the time limit suggested is likely not related to omeprazole causing harm beyond that time, but that the condition oufgt to show good respnse in that time. If it has not sone so, then further investigation or consideration is needed from medical staff, or even change of dosage.

Posted Mon 28 Jan 2019 22.45 by Jeannette50

Radio 4 doctor spoke about this some time ago (he was on a PPI) and definitely 8 weeks as maximum prescribing period was stated. Also if you did not know PPIs are linked to an increase risk of dementia. Use apple cider vinegar for acid reflux: https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2017/01/02/how-to-help-acid-reflux-without-a-ppi/

Posted Tue 29 Jan 2019 05.10 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Tue 29 Jan 2019 05.16 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

I have tried taking apple cider vinegar daily for sevral weeks, and sadly I found that it made absolutely no difference to any of my symptoms for which it is alleged to be the answer. It may help some, but it did not help me.

Posted Tue 29 Jan 2019 17.26 by Jeannette50

Did you read the other possible options within the comments at the bottom of the page at this link? : https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2017/01/02/how-to-help-acid-reflux-without-a-ppi/

To take part, sign in or register with us