Stress and flare ups

Posted Sun 3 Feb 2019 10.48 by anneshrew

Hi, I have noticed a big correlation between times of stressed and the amount/aggressiveness of my flare ups. This turns into a vicious cycle, as I then end up getting more stressed about my skin which I feel causes it to get even worse. Does anyone else experience this, or is this just a coincidence that I notice this pattern? If so, what do you guys do to help yourself? Thanks, Samantha

Posted Sun 3 Feb 2019 12.07 by victoria

Hi Samantha Indeed this is the case as you put it, awful situation have caused mine to trigger in first place, having to retire early due to throat problems and being in a stressful sales inviroment which I coped with for over 35 years, just before retirement losing both parents, then the stress of family problems from all roads which I can not explain due to on going issues. From the family members whom I helped all my life along with my lovely brother. This year now 2019 we have to say enough is enough and get on with our own lives, but you are correct it is all down to stress related I try and relax of an evening and tell my self during the day do not claw your scalp tonight with no avail. Now I must try and concentrate on myself this year and put those part of the family out of my mind. It is strange the ones that were spoilt by our parents are the ones who have turned out not to work and seem to get better thought of but hey Kalmer as my brother says is one thing you can not stop when it comes your way. I think of all the wonderful people on this sight and my prayers go to them and my one and only family member I have my brother. So dont think you are alone. My bills are paid food in cupboards, my home is spotless, any thing more is a bonus God bless you all Victoria

Posted Mon 4 Feb 2019 14.34 by Peter S
I have psoriasis on about 1/3 of my body...have had it for over 10 years and its getting worse.

It definitely is stress related. I can always tell when there's a new flare-up, as the new areas are always itchy whereas old areas of psoriasis seldom itch at all.

Posted Wed 6 Feb 2019 10.54 by Robby H
Hi everyone, I'm 57 yrs old and have suffered with psoriasis for most my adult life

Hi Sam , Sorry to hear your caught in a loop, it's an easy thing to fall into. I usually find myself getting stressed out about my skin then giving up and attacking myself buy trying to pick every piece of psoriasis off my body - this makes things a whole lot worse and puts me in bed for a day or two. I'm trying to identify exactly when this all starts so I can somehow tell myself not to go down that road and in so doing break the cycle

Posted Wed 6 Feb 2019 20.57 by anneshrew

Victoria, thanks for your lovely message. I read your response a few days ago in the email I received (just hasven't had a chance to reply until now, sorry) and have kept thinking about "My bills are paid food in cupboards, my home is spotless, any thing more is a bonus". This is such a nice, positive statement to live by, and has really helped me these past few days :) Wishing you all the best

Posted Wed 6 Feb 2019 21.05 by anneshrew

Hi Robbie and Peter, Thanks for your responses. I hate to hear that you guys are suffering, but thanks for clarifying this relationship between your stress and flare-ups - at least I have an idea now of how to approach sorting this issue out. Going to research ways to de-stress and will keep this post updated in the future if I have any luck. I guess even if it doesn't help my symptoms at least it may improve my mental wellbeing anyway :) Good luck

Posted Thu 7 Feb 2019 00.52 by Robby H
Hi everyone, I'm 57 yrs old and have suffered with psoriasis for most my adult life

Hi guys, When things got bad for me and I mean really, really bad with massive open sores covering most of my body I would turn to alcohol ( usually a full bottle of jack) this just made it worse so I stopped drinking. It's been a few years now since I touched a drop and it's really helped. Although I still get flare ups they aren't as bad as they were, also, I've noticed that the psoriasis isn't flaring up in the paces it's ravaged previously. What has all this got to do with stress? I feel less stressed now I don't drink and can think more clearly about psoriasis management. I also feel less sorry for myself and being more confident about the way I look in public helps my stress levels quite a lot

Posted Thu 7 Feb 2019 07.53 by OhNo_NotAgain?

The link with stress is interesting. My older brother stted sufferring psoriasis around age 16, in 1968 and we were told that stress was a factor. In 1980 I sufddenly came out in psoriasis al over my body. I t was January of my last year at university, and certainly I was feeling very stressed. After my exams, my psoriasis receded slightly. A few months later I went on holiday in the sun and sea for 2 weeks and it receded further. Over the next year or so I was working in Indonsia and my psoriasis was much reduced but never cleared up compltely. Since then, I have worked continuously in a very stressful job, my father died in 1982 of cancer. I was married in 1990 and divorced in 1994 after a fairly difficuklt relatiinship. I was married again in 2002 and divorced in 2009 after a horrendously stressful time. I suffer from clinical deptression, I refuse to take anti-depressants and I am now approacing retirement with no adequate pension. My 2 ex-wives did very well financially. Anyway, the reason for this level of detail: I have seen no further correlation between periods of increased stress or reduced stress with my psoriasis symptoms- apart from perhaps my first flare-up while at university. I have often felt that this was strange.

Posted Thu 7 Feb 2019 08.25 by victoria

Hi we all make the wrong choices in life, partners ECT. Try and stay positive studying can be very stressful indeed and those who choose university have choices to march on or give up you are one of those who chose to march on with your studies which I admire. Keep your chin up and as for pensions there is always some one worse of than us. Third world countries children living in gutters no one to care for them no guidance who don't know what it's like to have at least one meal a day no love and stability. That alone I am grateful for I can go I my kitchen and turn the tap on with running water we are so lucky the stress is a big factor in today's life. As long as the bills are paid and food in cupboards anything more is a bonus. Be proud of yourself Victoria

To take part, sign in or register with us