UVB - Length of light exposure per session?

Posted Mon 4 Feb 2019 02.33 by mokkshaa

I started UVB light therapy about 4 months ago for psoriasis that was covering my chest, stomach, and lower legs. What I'm wondering is how long these sessions should be lasting. I live in a 2nd-world country and the exposure times started at 15 seconds per session. Each session they get 1 or 2 seconds longer. From what I'm reading, you're supposed to START at 30 seconds, and ramp up to minutes. At this rate, it's going to take 6 months before I'm even up to one single minute of exposure! Am I being ripped off? Should I seek treatment somewhere else?

Posted Tue 5 Feb 2019 05.12 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Tue 5 Feb 2019 17.47 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Mokksha, I have not had UVB sessions at the hospital, but have condsidered buying my own lamp/canopy. From reading comments on this website, I was surprised at how short the exposure times commonly seem to be. If you do not get many other replies to your question, then if you look at the top of this page there is a search window, and if you type "UVB" into the search, you can find many discussions here and people talking about their own experiences. You should be able to get some better idea from the various posts. One thing to bear in mind is that if UVB sessions causes any burning (or even just redness) of the skin (akin to sunburn) , then that damage to the skin can trigger an increase in the psoriasis, So that seems to suggest why a conservative approach to exposure times might be common. There is some info on UVB treatments here: https://www.psoriasis-association.org.uk/psoriasis-and-treatments/treatments/from-a-dermatologist Good luck!

Posted Tue 5 Feb 2019 17.31 by Loops

A number of years ago I had UVB treatment via the hospital and your experience is the same as I had. I don't think I ever reached 1 minute. My first treatment was probably no more that 10 seconds, The time increases as you work through the treatment, but with very small increments. The nurses followed a chart. I had the treatment 3 times a week, very frustrating as it took me 45 mins to get to the hospital, but it did clear the psoriasis. Unfortunately mine returned when the treatment stopped.

Posted Fri 8 Feb 2019 22.24 by JennyM

I am having UVB at the hospital . I started with 13 seconds and am now at 1 minute 29 seconds ..today was my 14th treatment . I go 3 times a week and am scheduled for 36 treatments altogether . I have seen some improvement on my arms so far so hoping things will get a lot better soon .

Posted Tue 21 May 2019 01.07 by Gemma100

Having had PUVA at hospital a while ago I remember starting at only a few seconds. They then increased it by 20% each time.( Which they also do with UVB) So to me only going up 1 or 2 seconds at a time seems very strange to me. As for the starting point , I understand it depends on your skin type, I started at 13 seconds because I am fair skinned. I seem to think I had around 8 or 9 treatments before I got up to a minute.

To take part, sign in or register with us