Ciclosporin or Methotrexate - Advice help!

Posted Sat 1 Feb 2020 00.17 by charmarr

Scc.I had to top taking Cyclosporin.My kidney function readings were becoming a problem. I have started a course of Methotraxate.I take four tablets once a week.I also have to take Folic Acid twice a week. I have had some success but I don't think it has been as effective as the Cyclosporin. I now have to have regular liver function tests. Your treatments looks to be working for you.Good luck.

Posted Tue 3 Mar 2020 by MabelD2019
Recently been diagnosed with psoriasis and it's spread everywhere

Hi All, sorry I've not been in this chat for a long time. Thank you for sharing your experiences and updates. I don't know if anyone out there has stopped taking medication completely or even if it's possible? One year on and I'm still on 100mg of cyclosporin twice a day. I'm seeing my consultant in a few weeks and am hoping he'll agree to lower the dosage and wean me of this drug. I want to stop it completely, as I want to have another baby but I'm scared. If I stop the cyclosporin, I'm worried the P will come back with aggression and then I'll have to go back on it, which means I won't be able to try for another child. I'm in my 40's and really want another baby before I'm too old. Has anyone experienced life after cyclosporin and having a child? Any comments would be really helpful to me. Thank you. Mabel x

Posted Tue 3 Mar 2020 04.25 by anupam

My father,73 yrs, is on cyclosporine now almost for 1 and 1/2 years.He is a patient of P for the last 19 years.The first 14 years he was on metrotrexate (15 or 7.5mg) depending on its severity.But from begining of 2018 methotrexate stopped working then his doc advised him cyclo.In the first few months he was on 100mg/twice daily,then 100mg morning and 50mg night after that 50mg twice daily..P is well managed since then with almost 90% clearance barring few managable flare ups Now the doc told we can make it 50mg once daily and hv to keep vigil..Two tests r important with this drug every 4 months...creatinine and lipids....Dont worry about P it is like diabetes..cheers....Thanx...

Posted Tue 3 Mar 2020 04.32 by anupam

I forgotten in my last post intermitrantly doctor has prescribed acetratin 10 mg with cyclosporine also.And side by side two ointments (1) moisturiser (2) clobetasol+calcitriol ointment only over P.

Posted Tue 3 Mar 2020 19.10 by HPBug

Hi Nik I've never had ciclosporine but have had Methotrexate in the past and again more recently. When I first took it (early 20s), my psoriasis cleared up almost completely within about 6 weeks. I took it for about a year but as soon as I stopped it, the psoriasis returned with a vengence. I was tried on it again a few months ago (late 30s now). Again, it worked well but my bloods were deranged and got worse the longer i took it (I had not had this problem in the past when taking it). My liver function was poor and i was incredibly ill and the Methotrexate was stopped. If it suits you and you have no adverse side effects or deranged bloods, it can be a brilliant medication. Give it a go. I hope it works for you 🙂

Posted Thu 2 Apr 2020 09.30 by tjs730

Hi I was covered head to toe with psoriasis, and my mood was very low. I was offered both. informed that my psoriasis would respond quicker on ciclosporin. So I went for the ciclosporin, 150mg twice a day. Within a week I noticed a difference, except my nails and they will take at least a year, so I'm told. I had mild side effects. On my next visit to dermatology. I was told that they are having trouble getting ciclosporin, because of Covid 19. So have now been put on methotrexate. And told that if this works can stay on it indefinitely. I chose ciclosporin because I was in a very low place and desperate. My husband wanted me to take the methotrexate. Because it didn't seem as high risk as ciclosporin. However he supported me in my decision, and says its lovely to have his wife back to how I was before my flare up of psoriasis. I'll just have to see how I get on changing from ciclosporin to methotrexate, I have read a lot of people's stories on here. So I have prepared my self for the worst. You have to do what you feel is right, everybody is different. Good luck on your decision.

To take part, sign in or register with us