Sweat glands and heat intolerance

1 Posted Thu 21 Feb 2019 14.50 by wendyloish

It is summer here in Australia again, bringing to the forefront of my mind why I have such an intolerance of heat. Sure I am old (72) and obese (won't tell you the number there), but my intolerance of heat goes back to my childhood. When in primary school if I ran anywhere my face would redden to the point of discomfort, but I never seemed to sweat. Later in life when in my early 20s saunaing was a big thing in my social circle, but I could not tolerate it as it only made my skin dry and itchy. Once again, sweat only around the areas of skin folds. When I went through menopause, I had plenty of hot flushes, but not one sweating episode. (There is always an upside to everything) My brother (aged 76) has psoriatic arthritis and other autoimmune problems (I might go into that more later in another post). Interestingly, he likes to sauna, and sweats normally. His only symptom of psoriasis has been his nails. He has never had anything wrong with his skin. Unlike me! I have had an on and off battle with psoriasis since I was about 18. So I did a little investigating into sweat glands. I found that there are 2 types, eccrine (all over the body and producing odourless sweat for body cooling, and apocrine sweat glands that produce a fat laden sweat in the scalp, armpits and groin. Sweating is controlled by the autonomous nervous system, specifically the hypothalamus. Overheating can be caused by the inability to sweat because the sweat glands are not functioning properly. This could be because the sweat glands are affected by skin inflammation such as psoriasis, but just as likely by inflammation and dysfuntion of the hypothalamus. The symptoms of hypohidrosis (minimal sweating) are . minimal sweating even when others are sweating heavily . dizziness . muscle cramps or weakness . a flushed appearance . feeling overly hot How is hypohidrosis diagnosed? When you break out in a heat rash or have skin flushing when you should be sweating. Or you sweat in some part of the body and not in others. So, comparing me with my brother, we both have the genes that lead to psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, and we have both come down with the latter. But he with his normal sweat glands has not had the skin problems that I have. He just has the nail thing. So here is where the good part comes in. I have been reading the stream on the forum about hydrogen peroxide started by NorthWind. On it TCNZ refers to wikipedia about the acid mantle. Forgive me for requoting "The acid mantle is a very fine, slightly acidic film on the surface of human skin acting as a barrier to bacteria, viruses and other potential contaminants that might penetrate the skin.[1] Sebum is secreted by the sebaceous gland and when mixed with sweat becomes the acid mantle. The pH of the skin is between 4.5 and 6.2, slightly acidic." I, with my hypohidrosis, am lacking one of the elements necessary to make this acid mantle (sweat). Is this why I have the skin problems? Is this why I have the psoriasis? And if so, could NorthWind be right, and hydrogen peroxide could be an easy or simple way of substituting for the missing sweat? At the moment it is summer, as I have said. My FODMAP diet and sun exposure have quieted my skin as happens every summer, but come winter I will be trying out the hydrogen peroxide wendyloish

1 Posted Sat 23 Feb 2019 21.38 by wendyloish

I have been thinking some more about hydrogen peroxide and why it should be helpful. Acids donate hydrogen, that is what makes them acid. Hydrogen peroxide is H2O2. If you take away a hydrogen you are left with H2O, the thing that the impaired sweat gland are not providing sufficiently to the skin. Any other acid, organic or inorganic would leave a residue on the skin. Also hydrogen peroxide is also a well known disinfectant, and this may play a part as well. wendyloish

Posted Sun 3 Mar 2019 22.23 by wendyloish (edited Sun 3 Mar 2019 23.28 by wendyloish)

W have had another heat wave, with temperatures in the high 30s for 4 straight days. Of course, my skin broke out. So I have now tried the hydrogen peroxide with positive results. Have a look at the NorthWind posts in the treatments section. wendyloish

To take part, sign in or register with us