In defence of the humble tomato

Posted Mon 8 Apr 2019 00.08 by wendyloish

I want to put up something in defence of the poor much maligned tomato. Firstly, from my personal point of view, I eat them everyday, both au natural and cooked into stews, soups and sauces. And I am currently free of any psoriasis, while my psoriatic arthritis is under control, with no pain! Tomatoes are an especially important source of folic acid. They are an acid fruit. If you were having trouble with acid reflux, the addition of acid foods to your diet might have some impact, but eliminating tomatoes would not help to eliminate the cause of the reflux. That is part of the syndrome that impacts the gut, and seems, I believe, to be connected to irritable bowel syndrome. Many people do not actually realise that they suffer from this. I did not, until I returned from a working trip to China. This was one of 3 that lasted 2 months each. Upon my return I suffered from prolonged gut problems, which only began when I took up again my western diet which included gluten and dairy. I was then diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome. I have also noted the reference to red foods in general. There is nothing wrong with red fruits. They are red because they are easily identified as ripe by birds and insects. And they are mostly red from polyphenols that are anti-inflammatory in the gut, just like the purple ones. Strawberries have the same chemical anthocyanines as blueberries. Oh, and while I am on the subject candida albans is a fungus (yeasts are a form of fungus), and one thing that universally kills fungi (you know how to remove mould from your bathroom) is acid. So surely eating an acid food like a tomato aught to increase the acidity of the stomach and perhaps the gut. Many foods are acidic, take citrus fruits and kiwi fruit for instance. So stop worrying about acidity in your food. The acid concentration of your stomach is about 0.5% hydrochloric acid. So your gut is made to handle acid. Try eliminating inflammation causing foods instead of the acid. And don't take antacids. They are a symptom relief that just stops you from dealing with the real problem. Not only do I love and eat tomatoes, but also the other members of the nightshade family, eggplants, chilies, capsicums and potatoes. All good on FODMAP. So on that much loved pizza, the cheese and the bread are the problem, whereas the tomato is good for you. wendyloish

Posted Fri 12 Apr 2019 15.08 by Mili
Hello! Thanks for taking time to read my bio. I am 28 YO, live in London, keen swimmer, I enjoy live gigs, festivals, time with friends

Thanks for the post. I never noticed the difference in not eating 'nigh-shade' foods as they call it.... but my mom still keeps nagging me not to.... Hopefully more research will be done into this

Posted Sat 13 Apr 2019 00.55 by wendyloish

The nightshades all came to Europe from the Americas after Christopher Columbus did his thing. So it would be understandable if there was a variety of genetic susceptibilities to them in the European population at that time. But the changes wrought by their introduction in various cultures was profound, so that I would imagine that people in southern Italy or Spain with a sensitivity to tomatoes would not have lasted long. The same could be said for people reactive to the potato in Ireland. But just like in Europe today there are people that are lactose intolerant (after a much longer time when dairy foods have been consumed), so there may be some people who are intolerant to the nightshades. In my own personal story, reflux became a part of my general digestive issues, which centred on irritable bowel syndrome. Reducing stomach acid seems to be a common way of treating reflux, hence the advice for the reduction in acid foods like tomatoes. But I found eliminating inflammation causing foods was the most effective way of eliminating the reflux. As FODMAP is restrictive, I actually ended up eating far more nightshades than I had been before, especially the tomato, which now goes into virtually every main meal I eat. So no reflux, and lots of tomatoes, red capsicums (which I use as a substitute in recipes calling for onions or garlic), the odd potato, and extensive use of paprika and chilies. wendyloish

To take part, sign in or register with us