New to site

Posted Sat 20 Apr 2019 09.33 by Mosco
Psoriasis since I was 17, guttate for the majority of this time and sometimes long periods of facial and scalp psoriasis, extremely fed up!

Hi, first time I have used this site, I just felt the need to share how fed up I am right now! I currently have a lot of psoriasis on my arms and legs, my torso is very bad, my face and neck was bad but has improved over the last few days and my scalp is covered. I started taking acetretin 7 weeks ago and until yesterday was coping with side effects (lips dry and cracking, hands and feet peeling) but I went for a lovely spring walk yesterday.. after a while my feet were hurting so I went home.. thick chunks of skin were peeling away, bleeding in parts and leaving raw skin in places. It is so painful I can hardly stand and walking is very difficult. I live on my own. In the past 18months my husband ( of 30 years) left me, I broke my hand quite badly, I have been supporting my son through depression and i have had bowel cancer. The severity of my psoriasis is the tin lid on it and I am just wondering if I can cope with anything else. Sorry for the negativity but really feeling it at the moment xx

Posted Sat 20 Apr 2019 10.38 by wendyloish

Hi Mosco, Sometimes our circumstances are just overwhelming, and as a consequence we become really stressed out. This can be a real trigger for psoriasis, both emotional and physical stress, and it appears that you have been under both. My life has had its traumas, and when they were overwhelming me, I found that simplifying my life was a great help. I would make a list of the things that were stresses, prioritise them, and then knock off the things on the bottom. It works! I have a son that suffers from chronically being depressed, and I have recently written in some detail about vipassana meditation retreats as a possible way of helping. Meditation can be a real solution to depression that does not involve drugs. There are a few other things you could be doing that don't take a lot of effort. Lots of people on the forum swear by blueberries, and vitamin D may help as well. Take some time and read through some of the forum posts, as you may find them helpful as well. I am so sorry you are feeling down at the moment, and I hope you have family and friends who will offer support. wendyloish

Posted Sat 20 Apr 2019 10.41 by Alex N

Hi Moscow Sorry to hear about your situation - what a lot you've got to cope with at the moment. Stress is known to be a trigger for psoriasis. I'm 63 and developed psoriasis last November for the first time, triggered by a bad chest infection and then stopping taking the steroids I was prescribed for it. It particularly affects my hands and soles. I started taking Acitretin a week ago, and already have peeling lips and dry nose plus cold-like symptoms. My hands and feet are peeling a lot, too, but were already cracked and bleeding, so can't get much worse (I don't think!).. I haven't been able to walk much for the last 6 months. I also had psoriasis on my trunk and limbs, but Dovobet and a course of UVB phototherapy helped that die down a lot. It's just my feet and hands which are excruciating, which means it's life-changing at the moment. I'm hoping Acitretin will help, but if not my dermatologist said we'd try a biologic instead. If Acitretin isn't working for you, there should be other options you can try. If you didn't already have problems with your palms and soles, it may not be the one for you. See what your dermatologist says when you next see them. Do hope things improve for you.. I'm sure they'll find something to help. You have my sympathy.

Posted Sat 20 Apr 2019 11.00 by bryan james mcneill

hi mosco , sending positive thoughts ..........

Posted Sat 20 Apr 2019 18.13 by Mosco
Psoriasis since I was 17, guttate for the majority of this time and sometimes long periods of facial and scalp psoriasis, extremely fed up!

Hi, thank you for your kind words., I have been able to sit in the garden and read today - I feel a bit lazy but my feet are just too painful to do anything else! I will try blueberries and I have meditated in the past but it's been difficult to keep faith with it, I will have another go. Thanks again x

To take part, sign in or register with us