Palmoplanar Psoriasis and extended hand-writing?!?

Posted Tue 7 May 2019 22.59 by Thaumergy

Hi, I'm a university student who has had psoriasis on my hands for around ten years, over time it has worsened. I'm currently at the point where the 'padding' in my fingers and palms is permanently reduced and I usually have open sores on my hands. Now, this is inconvenient enough as it is, but at university, I am required to take written 3 hour long exams. This is so painful for me and I actually struggle to write when my hands are bad, which incidentally is during stressful periods- like exams. I'm ending uni soon but I love writing and drawing and hate losing the ability to do so due to my psoriasis. Has anyone got any tips on reducing pain/damage when writing?

Posted Tue 7 May 2019 23.15 by wendyloish

Hi Thaumergy, I was wondering if you have tried the Artline Fineline pens, as unlike ballpoints they do not require you to actually push the pen onto the page. Guidance is sufficient. This might be enough to get you through your exams. After that you will find the keyboard will take over as your main writing instrument, anyway. Good luck with your exams. wendyloish

Posted Tue 7 May 2019 23.22 by Thaumergy

Wendyloish thankyou! I'll give them a go this exam season and hopefully, it will help, it's good that they're not too expensive either! I still mourn the limitation to my drawing and painting but maybe I need to accept it.

Posted Tue 7 May 2019 23.53 by wendyloish

Hi Thaumergy, There is a whole field of drawing and painting on the computer. And I suspect there are more commercial applications for this side of things than there are for the traditional drawing and painting. So don't give up on that either! wendyloish

To take part, sign in or register with us