Is Tonsillectomy a recognised treatment for moderate to severe Psoriasis?

Posted Fri 5 Jul 2019 19.13 by ritzram

My son is experiencing a lengthy and wide spread episode and we are looking for something which will help. So far everything tried has been unsuccessful. He has heard of tonsillectomy being a potential means to clear or significantly reduce the issue - is this recognised in the UK?

Posted Sun 7 Jul 2019 00.59 by wendyloish

Hi ritzram, I have noted in my readings of forum posts that guttate psoriasis seems to be related to "strep throat", and I had made the assumption that this would have included inflamed tonsils (ie tonsillitis). I am not sure, but I thought that tonsil removal was mentioned in that context. I would therefore suggest that you have a look through the posts on the forum for references to guttate and strep infections. On another note, tonsils have been found to be involved in immune reaction. As psoriasis is an over-reaction of the immune system that results in autoimmune attack, logically tonsil removal aught the have the effect of dampening down the immune system, As far as what is recognised in the UK, I am sorry but I do not know. Perhaps you should ask your son's doctor. wendyloish

Posted Sun 7 Jul 2019 11.14 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I have never heard or read about tonsillectomy being recommended as a treatment for psoriasis. In the UK my understanding is that whereas in the 50s and 60s tonsills were removed routinely in children virtually at the first signs of tonsillitis, the practice moved away from surgery. between the ages of 17 and 20 I had recurring tonsillitis and was prescribed various topicl type treatments including a "spin-haler" which allowed my to inhale to my throat the powder contents of a capsule. At no time did I have any sign of psoriasis. On the day after my 22nd birthday i started my first outbreak of plaque psoriasis- not having had tonsillitis for around 2 years. Withing a few weeks I had plaques ALL over my body including face and scalp. Over the next 5-10 years my psoriasis calmed down and largely receded apart from small patches on my elbows and a recurring patch of what seems to be inverse psoriasis in my groin. From age 48-50 I again had recurring and very severe tonsillitis - leaving me at times with pain in all my joints similar to a severe bout of flu. Once again, no change or increase in my psoriasis. At age 59 I had a hip replacement and 6-8 weeks later I came out in Guttate psoriasis. My GP immediately asked me if I had suffered any recent sore throat of any type - I had not, but he gave me a 7 day course of antibiotics anyway (he explained that there has been an observed link between throat infections and guttate psoriasis). He suggested that the guttatte was quite possibly my body's immune-response reaction to the trauma of the hip replacement. He said it might recede in 6-8 months - which it did. I am not sure that there is an accepted link in UK between tonsils and psoriasis that would lead to elective removal of the tonsils. it is not a minor procedure in adults. As suggested, you are better served asking a doctor about that. When I was a child it seemed to be regarded almost as a right of passage before puberty . . . . chicken pox, measles, tonsills out and at least one broken limb allowing your classmates to sign your plaster.

Posted Sat 13 Jul 2019 16.57 by Marsha

As a sufferer of guttate psoriasis for over 50 years, I had read about the link between guttate and tonsillitis and decided to get my tonsils out in the hope that it would work. It had to be done privately and the surgeon who did it was advertising this fact but sadly for me, a year on, and no improvement at all. So the search continues.

To take part, sign in or register with us