psoriasis and melanoma

1 Posted Wed 17 Jul 2019 12.30 by wendyloish

It seems there might be something new about being a lifetime psoriasis sufferer that I am still learning. Today I had a mole excised which the doctor was certain is a melanoma. I am waiting now for pathology, but he is so confident of the diagnosis that I already have a further appointment for more to be cut out. So I was wondering if there was a connection between skin cancer and psoriasis. I had noted before that there was an apparent correlation between psoriasis and carcenomas, but I was surprised to find a correlation study suggesting increased risk of melanoma for psoriasis sufferers. I have had carcenomas excised and frozen off before this. In fact I had another of these frozen off today that was just inches from the melanoma. And without this I never would have seen the melanoma which is in an elbow skin fold on the back of my elbow. Was I lucky to find it, yes, but not lucky to have it in the first place. So am I alone on this one? Have any of you had a melanoma as well as psoriasis? wendyloish

Posted Sun 21 Jul 2019 01.03 by psoriasis123

There shouldn't been any increase in risk, even if you get UVB treatment it shouldn't have long term effects, unless your exposure to UV light is very high throughout your life

1 Posted Mon 22 Jul 2019 01.12 by wendyloish

Hi psoriasis123, Yes I know about sun exposure as I live in Australia and everyone here is very conscious of skin cancer. However my doctor advises me that there is a genetic element to melanoma, in that my immediate family, siblings and children do run an increased risk of developing melanoma. I have never had UVB treatment so that is not relevant to me. wendyloish

To take part, sign in or register with us