Home UVB and skin cancer risk.

Posted Thu 14 Nov 2019 10.30 by Darren S
I’m in my late 40’s, married with three kids. Had my first and only flare in Jan 2018. Just living with it now.

Like many of us on here, we’ve had UVB treatment at a hospital and found the results to be fantastic. I was head to toe in angry scaly plaques and after 34 sessions of light therapy I was clear and I had a nice tan as a bonus! However a few months later and it’s slowly coming back more and more as the weeks go by. I’m thinking of getting a home UVB system, but am concerned about the increased skin cancer risk if I used it to keep me clear. I know the NHS recommendation is no more than 150 exposures. However I guess over the period of my lifetime I’ll use it far more than that. Anyone know the percentage of increased risk?

Posted Thu 14 Nov 2019 14.23 by wrosie111

I would also love to know about this as well as I have my own home UVB unit and want to know how long is safe to use it for. I do wonder why the NHS are so reluctant to refer us, they would much rather throw steroids at us. Also, in the UK we are a lot less exposed to harsh sun like in other countries and, compared to the restricted time limit of the UVB treatments, I cant see it having a horrible impact over time. The only thing I can think of is the different kind of light (specifically UVB instead of natural sunlight) and the close proximity. However, what about the countless amounts of tanning salons around the UK? I cant seem to make sense of the recommendation against frequent light treatments. To me it seems like a no-brainer that it should be one of the first treatments tried. Instead of strong topical steroids! Obviously I'm no doctor but I'm just going of experience and lots of research.

Posted Fri 15 Nov 2019 18.22 by OhNo_NotAgain?

wrosie111: you ask "what about the countless amounts of tanning salons around the UK? " - general medical/health advice is NOT to use them, but they are not illegal.

Posted Mon 18 Nov 2019 09.17 by wrosie111

I understand this, and that the NHS cant stop people doing what they want in their spare time, but where is the limit? All of the research I have done shows UVB to be a safe treatment with next to no side effects, so why is it not being more widely used in place of harmful/ addictive drugs?

Posted Mon 18 Nov 2019 11.18 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Mon 27 Dec 2021 10.06 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

One harmful side-effect is burning of the skin - which can exacerbate psoriasis. Extensive exposure to UVB is regarded as a key risk factor in melanoma. I do not of course know what "research" you have carried out that apparently disputes this.

Posted Mon 18 Nov 2019 12.19 by wrosie111

I'm not disputing the fact that there are side effects (i.e "next to no"), that is what we are asking, how many sessions is safe? Being burned while using UVB is down to user mistake, not the treatment. Using the lights correctly (increasing exposure very slowly over a number of months) should not cause burning if done in the right way. My point was that as I have had numerous UVB treatments at the hospital that have been the only thing that has worked for me, and has been the most natural treatment, why is this not being used more widely for treatment of this condition. It seems to me that it is a whole lot "easier" to prescribe creams than to refer patients for UVB treatments.

Posted Sun 3 Oct 2021 18.08 by jcz756

I was told that UVB does not cause skin cancer and is safe to use. You shouldn't set it so high that it burns your skin and wear proper eye protection. I usually use it for a period until my skin condition improve well and then I leave it for some time.

Posted Mon 27 Dec 2021 04.14 by Cross-Bow

I bought some UVB 10 (26W) light bulbs to rig up a small, crude light-therapy box. 1) What is the safe/effective distance the bulbs should be from my skin? 2) Should I line the box with reflective Tinfoil to try focus light - so none escapes? I know mirrors won't work - UVB doesn't penetrate glass.

To take part, sign in or register with us