Swimming

Posted Mon 6 Jan 2020 10.19 by Verity

Hello this is my first post. I have had psoriasis since I was 8 so 20 years now and since then my psoriasis had been so bad that I have never wanted to go back swimming. Now that my psoriasis is looking good what advice is there for swimming as I dont want to flare it all up again Thanks

Posted Mon 13 Jan 2020 12.03 by PsoAdminMod

Hi Verity, It is great news that you now feel in a comfortable position to start swimming again, and I am glad to hear that your psoriasis is under control. If you have any questions or concerns about swimming with psoriasis you can get in touch with our helpline, where one of our members of staff would be happy to advise. You can contact us by phone on 01604 251 620, email at mail@psoriasis-association.org.uk or on WhatsApp 07387 716 439. Best Wishes, Amber, Psoriasis Association

Posted Tue 14 Jan 2020 12.33 by Bckygill

Hello, I rarely swim however when i was on holiday in Mexico i swam in the pool every day for two weeks and it actually made my hand Psoriasis go away and it calmed down a lot. Comparing this to my other holiday in Cuba (similar to Mexico, hot and sunny places) where i did not go in the pool just the sea it stayed the same. I then came to the idea that maybe the pool helped the skin? Not sure just what I experienced. Good luck i hope it goes well and you have no flare ups.

Posted Thu 23 Jan 2020 07.29 by Mary1968

Hello Verity If possible, try to swim in freshwater or saltwater. As chlorine can make psoriasis worse. I started swimming regularly in an indoor chlorinated pool last year and after about six weeks I had a flare up on my face and arm (prior to this I had been clear for years) So I stopped using the pool and started swimming in a local freshwater lake and also in the ocean, and I cleared up again. Just bare this in mind

To take part, sign in or register with us