Methotrexate or Ciclosporin

Posted Wed 8 Jan 2020 09.03 by TashaM77

I have psoriasis head to toe and after trying all sorts of creams, light treatment and alternative therapies for years I have given in and gone back to see the dermatology doctor. He has recommended I go on either methotrexate or ciclosporin and given me information so I can choose which one to go with. After reading through the paperwork there seem to be pros & cons to both so just seeing what other people have experienced.

Posted Wed 15 Jan 2020 17.19 by chickadee

HI Tasha, after 30yrs + of dealing with psoriasis I have been completely clear twice. once whilst on enbrel a biological.... and now after being prescribed Capimune (ciclosprorin). And i was covered head to toes severely in guttate (brought on by using Amgevita a biological given me to treat my plaque ps, I was in an awful mess....till I was given ciclosporin 4wks and I am completely clear ...

Posted Thu 16 Jan 2020 19.38 by Daveo52

The last time I was totally clear was when I was taking methotrexate for RA, I'm currently on Benepali for the same and the Psoriasis has never been worse!

Posted Fri 17 Jan 2020 20.38 by Bubblefish

I had several cycles of ciclosporin, my skin cleared up on each occasion but returned not long after treatment stopped. The regular blood tests were somewhat reassuring, albeit an inconvenience at times. I had varied side effects each time. On my last treatment I had bad problems with my kidneys, initially thought it was just a UTI then on looking at bloods etc the doc admitting me to hospital for treatment said they thought it was the drugs doing them damage. I'm fine now but it put me off them. In saying that, everyone has different results from trying a treatment. In terms of results nothing else cleared me up more effectively than ciclosporin but it's not an option any longer for me. I never did methotrexate so can't comment on it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Posted Tue 28 Jan 2020 23.03 by tes
Psoriasis warrior of 20 years. I have three young children. Too many flare ups to count. Body confidence 100%

I have been in your position. I was at my worse when I was 18/19 and ended up covered but also bed bound for a little while till I got the option of tablets. I started taking cicolosporin then got put on methotrexate as they are smaller tablets. Both have similar side affects. Don’t be put off as they do help and give brilliant results. You will have regular bloods and kept a close on eye.

Posted Wed 29 Jan 2020 13.10 by sadmum

i was on acitretin for nearly a year the initial dose gave me severe headaches but it stopped doing its job after about a year so tried methotrexate did the same thing so now im on nothing and skin is so bad and I cant even walk dont know what to try next..maybe the blueberries?

To take part, sign in or register with us