Wound healing

Posted Wed 8 Apr 2020 18.54 by Jenn22991 (edited Wed 8 Apr 2020 18.55 by Jenn22991)

Hi I have scalp psoriasis and believe I have psoriatic arthritis although no diagnosis due to current covid 19 situation. Anyway I am finding that if I have a minor injury it never heals. I had a gnat bite on my leg just below my knee four months ago. It got worse and has ended up in a 10 pence piece size scab. After about two weeks the scab comes off and the wound is still there exposed. The cycle continues and this is about the fifth time this has happened to the same wound. My scalp is really bad at the moment as is my knee (bakers cyst) and trigger finger. Any ideas as to how to heel this in the absence of a doctor's appointment?? Thank jenn

Posted Thu 9 Apr 2020 20.27 by Leebarnable22

Hi jenn ! My scalp is horrible and i get the same thing as you do. I find if I have stress my scalp breaks out over night. I bought a special shampoo that I’ve never tried just to see if it works. If it does I will let you know !

Posted Fri 10 Apr 2020 16.43 by Sizzy
Psoriasis 40 years, most treatments tried over this time, currently on biologics (stelara) as nothing else work.

I have a really bad scalp as well. Due to current pandemic I have decided not to start my new biologic, so in the throws of as big old breakout! To remove buildup I have been using either coconut oil (just from supermarket) or cocois. Wash hair with a tar based shampoo then use synalar gel or steroid. It all helps the build up but does not stop it flaring. I'm pretty sure that I'm back to square one within 48 hrs. I hope you find something that works for you x

Posted Fri 10 Apr 2020 19.07 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Years ago when I had bad scalp P, I was prescribed coconut compound ointment. It had to be kept refrigerated as the contents were to be used solid so would liquify if at room temp. I found this really effective but messy. I also used polytar liquid plus betnovate scalp application. Good luck

Posted Fri 10 Apr 2020 19.18 by Jenn22991

Thanks everyone. I have some scalp lotion from the doctors left over from last flare up so am using that. Anyone any ideas how to heal the wound on my leg? Is it connected to the psoriasis do you think?

Posted Fri 10 Apr 2020 20.17 by Sizzy
Psoriasis 40 years, most treatments tried over this time, currently on biologics (stelara) as nothing else work.

I think you do need to speak to the dr again. If I cut myself, it heals but I get psoriasis form on it. I recently had skin biopsies for research and ended up with psoriasis patches within a week. If you are not healing, it might be an infection. Failing that, perhaps keep applying a plain moisturiser to keep the scab from drying out too much.

Posted Fri 10 Apr 2020 20.38 by Jenn22991

In normal circumstances I would but doctors are so busy at the moment I think I will wait. I will try some moisturiser though. Thank you

To take part, sign in or register with us