Hydrogen Peroxide in swimming pool - psoriasis transformed.

Posted Wed 15 Jul 2020 08.39 by seismic

I have mild psoriasis, confined to knees, buttocks, back of thighs, elbows, knees and scalp. For years I've found some benefit from spending a few summer days on the beaches of SW France, but now my conjugal circumstances have recently changed and I am living here full time where I have a small above ground wooden pool. This year I have changed to treating the pool water only with stabilised liquid hydrogen peroxide (monitoring concentrations using test strips), and a pH lowering product, with NO chlorine or bromine. I'd had a large drum ever since installing the pool but only started using it this year as an economy measure when I found that the test strips were available as it came with no instructions. This is sometimes described as 'active oxygen' pool maintenance method, and although I have used a powdered product (from Bayer) before, this year, in combination with careful sun exposure, has coincided with the most dramatic improvement of my skin in over 20 years. The water feels great, is crystal clear, and ALL the red and flaky patches have effectively disappeared. If you have a larger pool, you will find this a more expensive pool sterilisation method than conventional ones, but I am convinced that it has benefited me greatly. I know there is some recent (2015?) medical research out there online, conducted in Shanghai using similar methods on more severely affected patients. I post this message to ask if others have had similar experiences.

Posted Wed 15 Jul 2020 10.04 by bargainlovingmum

Really interesting. I wonder if it could be used in very weak dilutions in other ways? I don't have a swimming pool, but maybe it could be used in skin creams or bath soaks?

Posted Wed 15 Jul 2020 12.04 by seismic

I would have thought you could try it in a bath: I've looked at pool supply websites in UK for you who don't seem to stock the same product - and as a strong oxidiser it could be put to nefarious purposes - but you could get smaller amounts from a pharmacy . Lloyds website mentions they sell it at 35% concentration. As far as I can figure, the ratio in my pool - diluting I think from a 35% product - is about 3 parts per thousand. My pool guy in France agreed that if I overdid it slightly, as it is not toxic the way chlorine and bromine are, the worst would happen is that I might get out a bit blonder! So I would carefully calculate the volume of my bath and act accordingly, and will try that myself after the summer. I'd be very interested to hear a medical opinion whether there are any risks, but as it's sold as a common topical antiseptic, and at least here in France as an increasingly popular pool chemical, provided it's very dilute I doubt it. I do emphasise, however, that in my case the 'treatment' has been based on brief immersions several times daily, and letting myself dry in sunlight.

Posted Wed 15 Jul 2020 12.46 by seismic

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5966409/ This the link to a 2018 paper on research into 'hydrogen-water bathing' in treatment of plaque psoriasis.

Posted Wed 15 Jul 2020 14.06 by bargainlovingmum

Thanks so much @seismic - really useful and encouraging. And thank you for looking in to it for the UK :0)

To take part, sign in or register with us