Taking methotrexate to treat Psoriasis

Posted Fri 14 Aug 2020 12.28 by c_miranda

Hello everyone, Hope you are all well. Im Chloe, ive suffered from psoriasis since i was a baby, however only had two major flare ups. One when i was 12, which dissipated completely with the use of creams. And i’m now going through a flare up, at age 19 which completely covered my the surface area of my back, a lot of patches on my chest and belly and very few on the legs and arms. The use of topical creams were not working. I used enstilar which worked initially but eventually the psoriasis came back. I am now on methotrexate, this is my 8th week and my dosage is 10mg. A lot of my flakey, red and dry psoriasis has gone. However, i am now left with a lot of scarring where the psoriasis once was. Some of the scarring is darker than my natural skin tone, and other scars are much lighter than my skin tone. Has anyone else experienced this ? Also, ever since starting methotrexate i have not had a period. Has anyone else experience menstrual disturbance ? Hope everyone is well and having a great day ! Thank you so much.

Posted Tue 18 Aug 2020 11.05 by LJeffersonJ

Hi Chloe, My psoriasis started out of the blue about two years ago. I had numerous misdiagnosis and tried so many treatments before I was rushed through to a dermatologist (still a three month wait). They were/are fantastic and popped me on medication (cyclosporine) immediately due to the severity. Luckily, this was really effective and cleared the condition in a similar way to what you have experienced. I also had noticeable red patches where the P had been. It took a few months but these have now mostly resolved themselves and gone back to my usual skin complexion. Although, I am not sure if these were scars just remnants of the patches clearing up. I am unable to help with the last bit being a chap! I hope this helps a little and I send my best wishes that things continue to improve, I know how hard this condition can be. L :)

To take part, sign in or register with us