Ciclosporin switch to methotrexate

Posted Tue 13 Oct 2020 16.11 by Carrieb

Hi, I Would really value any comments from those who like me have been on Ciclosporin for a period of time and are now meant to be switching drugs. I am feeling very wary of methotrexate after reading all the information and feedback as i have been on Ciclosporin for a few years with absolutely no side effects or spikes in my blood results.

Posted Mon 19 Oct 2020 01.13 by Matt1972

Hi, I was on cyclosporin for about 10 months before moving to methotrexate a year ago. Doctor did not like me being on cyclosporin long term, although like you my bloods were ok. It cleared me up 100%. Methotrixate does work well too. It's helped my joints a lot. I have a few patches on my leg and elbows, which did get a lot better in lockdown, but have come back now I'm back at work. Stress.... the tablets do make me feel nauseous on the day I take them, and a bit of a headache, but its worth it as I was really covered in p a few years back. I have asked about injections but the doc still wants to keep me on methotrexate whilst its working. You do have to watch your alcohol intake as well. I run a pub so it's been challenging. If I gave up the wines the more stubborn patches of p would maybe be reduced. Hope this helps

Posted Mon 19 Oct 2020 08.11 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

I concur with Matt, Cyclo is a very strong drug which I believe docs don't like prescribing long term. I was taking Cyclo for 6 to 10 months, after a few months Mtx was introduced so taking both whilst wheening off Cyclo. I continued with good clearance with Mtx for 10 years until last year but the side effects were taking its toll. I was offered the injectable Mtx which is meant to have less side effects. Good luck

Posted Mon 26 Oct 2020 12.16 by Rich

Hi I have just started ciclosporin today after being on the max injection of methotrexate for 2 years. It worked at first but p came back. Anybody have any feedback about ciclosporin please?

To take part, sign in or register with us