Genital Psoriasis treatments and herbs

Posted Mon 2 Nov 2020 10.46 by Wlowe

Hello All, I have had psoriasis for about 4 years now, and every winter it seems to get worse and worse. When I’m the sun it vanishes almost, apart from on my finger nails. I now have it really badly down my back passage (very red). I have thinned my skin before in other areas slightly with the use of steroid cream, and certainly don’t want to be doing that again. I do take turmeric, apple cider vinegar and eat pretty healthy on the whole. Could anyone please advice me on what supplements they take? Would you go down the narrowband UVB light route? Any foods, herbs, ointments - I’m all ears? Your help and advice is hugely appreciated. Many Thanks, Will

Posted Tue 3 Nov 2020 06.37 by AzureBlue

Hi Will I’ve said in another post that I’m convinced my psoriasis is linked to a leaky gut and Ive been taking supplements to address this and have seen some very positive results. Supplements I take: L Glutamine to heal my gut lining. Vitamin D and cod liver oil (high in vitamin D) as I’ve read that psoriasis sufferers are deficient in Vitamin D. I also take turmeric but I read an article on BBC about studies that have shown that turmeric when used in cooking is far more useful than a supplement where it’s virtually useless. Possible reasons for this are that the heat changes the turmeric so it’s more easily absorbed by the body or that oil in the cooking helps the turmeric to be absorbed as it binds to the oil. I now drink hot turmeric tea with a bit of black pepper as I understand that pepper is great for absorbing the turmeric. I’ve been doing this for nearly 3 months and I’ve seen a huge improvement but I think it’s too early to say for definite if it’s working. A few weeks in my patches became very itchy and then the dead skin just fell off leaving smooth light pink discolouration behind. I do still get the occasional tiny spot but hopefully the days of getting out of the shower to discover 8 new new patches that weren’t there the night before are over. I live in hope as we all do. I hope this helps.

Posted Tue 3 Nov 2020 06.38 by AzureBlue

Sorry, I forgot to say that I also take a probiotic supplement for my gut health.

Posted Mon 9 Nov 2020 14.20 by bargainlovingmum

AzureBlue that is really interesting to hear. Where do you get your turmeric tea? I also am trying the gut-healing route. I have been using Hanna Sillitoe's books/website. Also trying slippery elm bark in hot water, 5 out of 7 days. It tastes odd, but I pretend it's a cup of soup. And I only fill the mug 1/3 or 1/2 full, so there's less to drink. Hoping for good results - my tummy definitely feels happier on the days I drink it (1st thing before food). It's got good reviews and is from Native American people originally, I think.

Posted Tue 10 Nov 2020 14.40 by AzureBlue

I’ve been getting the turmeric from Holland & Barrett but it’s far too expensive there unless it’s in one of their penny sales so I might use the supermarket spice jar version. I’ve never tried slippery elm bark but I’ve just had a quick look on google and interestingly it’s good for inflammation and ibs type diseases. I’ll see how I get on and I’ll try it if what I’m currently doing comes to nothing.

Posted Thu 12 Nov 2020 13.23 by bargainlovingmum

AzureBlue - all the very best with that. Let us know how you get on!

To take part, sign in or register with us