Oral medications

Posted Mon 23 Nov 2020 13.49 by lewis_95

Hi all! I’ve had psoriasis since I was about 10 years old. I’m now 25, I’ve finally got my dermatology appointment a week today, after waiting over a year to be seen. Hurray! I’ve tried every cream out there, so my GP says, I had a video consultation with my dermatologist about 3 months ago, where she said that if we need to go down the road or oral medication we could. Methotrexate and cyclosporine. However I have anxiety now my appointment is approaching as I feel they won’t offer me this medication as my skin is not ‘servere ’ enough. Does anyone have this feeling too? Have you been in the same boat but still been offered medication? I’m currently applying Clobetasol daily as my dermatologist said to just lather that on until my appointment i alternate with clobetasol and dovobet but not getting any better

Posted Mon 23 Nov 2020 14.12 by scarletsmummy

i suggest you read up about every side effect prior to your appointment and then you will be armed with information I was prescribed Acitretin last year and it had disastrous effects on my whole body ,I lost every bit of bodily hair , my hair on my head fell out in clumps , My nervous system was damaged to the extent i am now left with severe Sciatia ,the nails on my fingers and toes completely crumbled and my lips lost every bit of moisture that i was using a tub of vasaline a week just so i could put food in my mouth... Please read up before you take anthing

Posted Mon 23 Nov 2020 16.36 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Scarlets mummy makes good points about researching the side effects. I can also agree about Acitretin, a horrible drug in my experience. As for Cyclosporine (Cyclo) and Methatrexate (Mtx), these are normally offered when creams and ointment havent been too successful. Cyclo is a very strong drug which in my case was fast acting but normly the docs don't ike you being on Cyclo for a long period, whereas Mtx can be used more long term. You do have to have regular blood checks for both drugs. Read up and talk it over with your consultant. Good luck.

To take part, sign in or register with us