UVB and topical steroid cream

Posted Tue 24 Nov 2020 18.52 by RicardoGonzalez

I have just purchased a UVB lamp for my 18 year old son in the latest throw of the dice to try to sort out his psoriasis. He now tells me that he’s stopped using his steroid creams because he’s using the lamp....I can’t find guidance if this is right or wrong anywhere.....does anyone here know what’s what? Thank you

Posted Wed 25 Nov 2020 01.03 by LondonWest (edited Wed 25 Nov 2020 01.14 by LondonWest )
Had P on and off for many years 🤗

I was told not to use any steroid creams when using UVB tubes, also I was told not to use UVB light on the face. I started off at 30 Seconds and was told to use it every 2 days. You increase the time as you go along by 30 seconds or a minute sometimes you stay on same exposure time if your skin gets sore. Eventually i was up to 10 minutes and it did help a lot. You get an increase in moles and it can make you itch a lot. It did clear me but as soon as you stop using it unfortunately psoriasis returns. You’re not supposed to use these lights continuously forever. You use them until you can relatively clear and then stop for a few months or as long as you can

Posted Thu 26 Nov 2020 14.24 by Yacht

Some studies say UVB + steroid cream at the same time works well / better, but others say it can "stain" the skin. Steroids and light-beams are harsh. Personally, I use one or the other, but never two at the same time. As above, be (very) careful when using photo-therapy. It is NOT a permanent treatment. It is alarmingly easy to burn the skin (in 10-20 seconds). I find UVB is extremely effective for getting 100% clearance. But it never lasts. Red spots typically return after 1-3 months. You can do "top-ups" to keep it at bay, but it may well damage the skin or DNA.

To take part, sign in or register with us