New Member and My Story

Posted Fri 1 Jan 2021 14.25 by heatherschulte

Hello! I am new and I wanted to share a little about myself. It was about 2 years ago when I developed psoriasis. It started in the toenail of my big toe on my right foot. It would ache at night and wake me up because the nail was getting thick and hurt as it grew out. I thought I had athlete's foot. After a few months, I developed what the dermatologist called "psoriasis" on the bottom of my feet. It would crack and bleed and ended my ability to wear sandals in the summer. The dermatologist gave me vitamin d ointment and cortisone cream and told me to wrap it in saran wrap after putting on the creams. The creams helped, but they never "cured" it. Two years later, still battled psoriasis, I began to develop IBS. This is when I decided to do an elimination diet. I had done them before to try to find my "trigger," but this time I gave up the one thing I'd never dared to give up in the past, coffee. Why is it always the one thing that we have a hard time giving up that is our "trigger?" Addiction maybe, as I was a coffee addict and went through significant withdrawal symptoms. Anyway, after being off of it for 2 weeks my psoriasis is completely gone from my feet. I am waiting to see if my IBS symptoms disappear too. They have improved, but the have not completely gone away. Does anyone in this group have a similar story? I appreciate any advice and thanks for listening.

Posted Fri 1 Jan 2021 17.50 by Happychappy

Interesting ...what about decaffeinated?

Posted Fri 1 Jan 2021 17.59 by heatherschulte

I haven't tried decaf yet. I will eventually, but right now I'm still trying to get my IBS symptoms resolved.

Posted Thu 7 Jan 2021 15.36 by Scott in Toronto

I hear you - it does always seem like the one thing you don't want to give up turns out to be your 'trigger'! Eliminating the usual things like nightshade vegetables helped for me. But it wasn't until I eliminated most added sugar that I saw a big improvement in my psoriasis. I didn't want to stop eating sugar! But I lost the craving for sugar after a few days and it made a big difference.

To take part, sign in or register with us