Do hats make scalp psoriasis worse?

Posted Wed 3 Feb 2021 00.52 by ERyan

Hi, new here! I've had psoriasis that only affects my head since I was about 12. I have found that the only two things that work for me are zinc shampoo (which immediately removes almost any color I dye my hair :( ) and apple cider vinegar does wonders for the itching. I've noticed that my condition has gotten worse the past couple years and I've been reading some topics about shortening hair or shaving your head to let your scalp breathe, which is immensely helpful for some people. I work outside, and the past couple years (since it has gotten worse) i have been wearing hats religiously to protect my face from the sun. Do you think that constantly keeping my hair under a hat could be aggravating the problem? I might invest in some visors that let my scalp breathe more. I talked to a dermatologist once as a kid who was supremely unhelpful, suggested a couple things that didn't work very well, and I haven't heard of too many other treatments so if you guys want to reccomend any products that work for you I'd love to try them.

Posted Wed 3 Feb 2021 01.12 by Skittles

Hi I’ve had this shit on my head for over 25 years. The only treatment that works for me is Dermovate (stronger) or Betacap (weaker but still strong) scalp applications, water based - not oil - 100ml, available prescriptions only - use with Nizoral shampoo 1% is available from pharmacy/decent supermarket. - stronger is available on prescription I believe. The above treatments work wonders for me and keep that shite away - if I didn’t use them/weren’t there, I honestly don’t know how I would cope. Hope this helps.

Posted Wed 3 Feb 2021 06.01 by scarletsmummy (edited Wed 3 Feb 2021 06.02 by scarletsmummy)

I have had Psoriasis for over 30 years and my main problem area is like you My scalp I cannot wear hats at all as it makes my head " Hot" and makes the scratching worse have been using Cocois tar based cream on my scalp twice a week and then washing off and with gentle shampoo ( the tar based ones juts dried out my hair completely also i use Betnovate between washes

Posted Sat 6 Feb 2021 11.19 by Sizzy
Psoriasis 40 years, most treatments tried over this time, currently on biologics (stelara) as nothing else work.

I used to apply oil (coconut or olive oil) to my scalp and wrap in cling film overnight. Wash out with capasal or other psoriasis shampoo in the morning. It helps soften plaques. Build up scale is the worse so half the battle is sorting that before applying topical treatments if needed (last year I found the oil overnight every night kept the scale so low I didn't bother with steroids cos it always comes back worse when you stop them!!). Hope that helps x (Had P since 12ish, now 48 and progressed through the years to biological treatments).

Posted Thu 17 Nov 2022 05.51 by searyv123

Hi. Does anyone wear any beanie or hats to ofice to avoid displeasure to others from falling flakes or powder due to scalp psoriasis. Any day cream that keeps itching and scaling in control so that office hours are nt unpleasant

Posted Thu 17 Nov 2022 08.04 by Sizzy
Psoriasis 40 years, most treatments tried over this time, currently on biologics (stelara) as nothing else work.

Hi searyv123. See my post above, if you use oil overnight and gentle remove the build up you should flake much much less during the day xx

Posted Thu 17 Nov 2022 20.45 by searyv123

I will try this for sure.

To take part, sign in or register with us